What can I lay on asphalt flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a newly laid asphalt floor throughout ground floor of a project house. Since then I’ve had every conflicting advice going about what I can put on top of it.
Can anyone advise if I can lay ceramic tiles (and if so, do I need a primer?)
Also can I lay vinyl on top of asphalt? Will the glue react with it? Do I need to screed for vinyl?
If no to both the above what can I put on it? Am starting to regret having it laid but it was best option for damp proofing a very odd house!!!

Sponsored Links
We get loads of sub floored Ashphalted as it’s great for a Dpm and building the levels up from parquet wood being taken up.

ceramics I don’t know

LVTs like Karndean Amtico Moduleo etc yes. Prime and smoothing compound then any LvT

laminate is ok
Floating engineered wood is ok

Thanks Dazlight, good to know something can be laid on it at least! Do you know if you can lay ‘normal’ vinyl on it by any chance? With a primer as prep?

Sponsored Links
Chemicals off the Ashplat can bleed into the vinyl. That’s why it’s best to put a 3mm latex screed over it.

Thank you! First answer I’ve had with some confidence despite yet another evening trawling the internet to try and find the info needed. Starting to hate asphalt but we didn’t have much choice in having it laid so need to make the best of it. Thanks again

Any floor without a Dpm. Pre 1965 then it’s dig up the sub floor and have a new one , Ashphalt or Ardex NA and Ardex DPM1c. Ashphalt always a good choice. If carpet going down always glue the grippers

Okay, so the asphalt wasn’t a bad choice by sounds of it, definitely pre 1965 and no dpm so it’s a relief to know we did the right thing. I don’t understand why it’s so hard to find the answers re laying a floor on top! Thankfully our carpet fitter was happy re glueing and knew that part but he wasn’t sure re laying sheet vinyl as he didn’t know if the adhesive would react. He suggested screed too but did say he wasn’t sure if there would still be bleeding...

The other thing about asphalt us that it is NEVER flat! Variations of plus or minus up to 5mm are to be expected . Not surprising when you consider that it is very hot (several hundred degrees) when laid (often poured out and levelled with a long handled trowel/float). Always seems to require a fair bit of levelling compound to make right when a truly flat surface is required

So we will need levelling compound, and screed (plus primer) ? Floor may as well be made of gold at this rate !

Depends who does it to how flat it is the lads who do mine are spot on.
To be honest Jennie , its cheaper then digging up the whole sub floor and putting a new concrete floor in with insulation.

Thanks Dazlight, you’ve been really helpful. I can’t believe how hard it is to find a definitive answer on the internet!
So can I pick your brains one last time? The area in question is hallway, downstairs bathroom & kitchen. 3 dogs, 1 toddler, 2 adults. Of my (what seem to be limited!) options on top of the asphalt what would you recommend for practicality & longevity?

Get LVT. Not the cheapest but will last 25 years

cheaper LVTs look at

LG, Moduleo select , project floors, Luvanto....

you want a 0.55mm wear layer on whichever one you get

or go for a good laminate like quickstep impressive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back