What central heating installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope there's someone who can point me in the right direction.
Installing an Oil fired central heating system in a two bedroomed cottage with upstairs bathroom. At the rear of the house is a granny annex which is being joined onto the house with an extension. There is no hot water system or heating at all in the house at present but I have recently put a cold tank and copper cylinder with emmersion in the annexe where we are living at present to give hot domestic water to the kitchen and bathroom of the annexe.
I was going to put an oil combi in the main house to save space, it was also going to link into the annexe to give high pressure hot domestic water to the annexe bathroom and kitchen by way of a valve.
All sounded quite reasonable until I contacted Grant boilers who said they wouldn't advise using a combi in a house with two bathrooms.

I dont want to go down the road of cold tank and cylinder in the main house due to having little spare space for the copper cylinder.
As I have a copper cylinder in the annex already, is it possible to run the radiator feed from the combi through the side tappings of the copper tank in the annexe to heat the domestic water as well as feeding the radiators in the annexe. This would give an extra option to heat the annexe water apart from using the emmersion as at present.
Does anyone think the above is possible or can anyone think of any other ways to crack the nut

Sponsored Links
I agree that the combi should only feed one bathroom.

You can use it to heat the water cylinder if its an indirect one. It will need a separate circuit to the heating so that it can heat it when the rads are off as well as temperature controls.

You have not made it clear if you are doing this as a DIY project or getting a professional to do it for you. I think you need professional help! Anyway there are Building Regulation aspects to take into account which require an OFTEC registered technician.

Tony Glazier

Cheers Tony,

That makes sense about seperate hot water supply for the annexe via the cylinder when Rads not in use and at lease I know now that I can still get a combi boiler for the main house. The pressure on the hot water domestic to the annexe is poor as the head comes from the cold tank in the single storey annexe. No way of getting away from that I suppose, even after the modifications. Getting someone in to do the work, thanks for the info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back