Hive install help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I’m currently trying to install a Hive 2 in our granny annex. We have one main combi boiler and the heating is set up in 2 zones. One for the main house and the other for the annex. The annex has it’s own 3 wire (Sunvic tlx 200) thermostat and near the boiler there is a 4 pole main on/off switch where a timer would go. The main issue is the plumber who wired the heating has left no labels.

Should I wire the receiver into the thermostat or blank that out and wire it where the switch is?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really matter. If both the main switch and the Sunvic both control only the heating to the annex. Either will do. The thermostat would probably be the easiest location, as long as one of the three wires you mention is a neutral, and you are happy to have the Hive receiver mounted where the current thermostat is.

I'm not sure what you would be expecting in the way of 'notes' from a plumber though, I've never seen anything other than the relevant certification and the manuals left with the user. In any case, if anyone were to leave 'notes' about the wiring, it would be the electrician that wired it up....but I can't say I've never seen that either.

Thanks for your reply. It was less notes and more labels for what wires control the annex and the rest of the house. The thermostat looks to have a live neutral and a switched live? What wires would that correspond to on the hive? Is it the perm live, perm neutral and the heating on? Also should I bridge the live and common connection as I have seen some users on here suggest.

Thanks for your help.
Max

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 350
Sponsored Links
Yours is quite simple exchange as follows:

From your photo of the existing thermostat and the diagram for the Hive Single Channel Version below, we can ascertain that:

Existing thermostat wire to 3 is 'Live' which goes to Hive terminal (L) 'Permanent Live'
Existing thermostat wire to 4 is 'Neutral' which goes to Hive terminal (N) 'Permanent Neutral'
Existing thermostat wire to 1 is 'Switched Live' which goes to Hive terminal (3) 'Heating on'
Then you need to add the wire to link the Hive (L) 'Live' and terminal (1) 'Common' together.

Capture.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back