What colour to paint cornices in two tone kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the final stages of a scratch built kitchen.

I'm trying to decide what colour to paint cornices, and wonder what other people do in my situation:

I have dark anthracite grey base units, with dark anthracite grey full height/depth units at the ends of each leg of the L-shaped kitchen.

My upper cabinets run mostly between the full height units (with gaps for range and sink/window) and are very light grey.

The (fairly narrow, 25mm) cornice runs above all the units

If I choose light grey for the cornice to match the upper cabinets, it will contrast with the full height units.

The alternative is to change cornice colour at one of the corner mitres that meets the full height units.

I'm leaning towards the first option as the least odd of the two, and hope that it might tie the two-colour design together.

Since two-colour kitchens seem to be quite popular these days I thought this might be a fairly common dilemma, but can't find anyone else facing the same problem or any pictures.

Sponsored Links
With coving I tend to paint it the same colour as the ceiling, but only to the lower edge of the coving then the wall and underside edge (about 9mm or so) the wall colour. This gives a nice sharp edge of paint on the edge where the colours join unlike trying to get a straight line along the wall which is never straight so looks wobbly no matter how careful you are cutting in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back