What dimmable driver to use for 4x 20V LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a bit of dilemma of what type of driver to use with me setup. I have 4x Megaman AR111 LED which are dimmable. My question is what would be a better driver, constant current or constant voltage? I am aware that to use constant current I would have to use driver capable of output 80V and 40W as all LEDs would be in series. Are drivers like that available or is better to go for constant voltage and wire it in parallel. Thank you for all answers.

Sponsored Links
How to dim them depends on what driver is built into the lamp.

It might be that the built in driver varies the current through the LED element in response to changes in the supply voltage. In which case a variable voltage would provide dimming.

It might be that these lamps can only be dimmed by a Megaman dimmer that puts control signals onto the 20 volt supply.

Thanks for replay, when I hooked this LED up under my work bench supply LED dim well when current is changed also they will dim when voltage is reduced, so I am pretty sure that they will not require any special dimmer from Megaman to control this. Here is driver recommended by Megaman to use with this LEDs
megaman.jpg
Now, I don't really want to use 4x driver from Megaman, I would rather use one with higher output.

Sponsored Links
A driver controls current, a LED will always have a driver, it could be a simple resistor or capacitor or it could be a PWM unit. If the driver is a simple resistor then it really does not matter if you control voltage or current to that resistor, however with a PWM unit any change in voltage with be auto compensated for until the limit is reached, and any control of current again until you reach maximum current it would work but over that maximum it could cause the voltage to raise above the value that the PWM unit can handle.

So with a PWM device the dimmer unit needs to talk to it. The PWM may read the clipping of a leading or trailing wave form as an instruction to reduce the current. As electricians we tend not to reverse engineer lamps, we simply read manufacturers data. As said Magaman has a good site listing what will and will not work with their lamps.

Using cheap lamps the efficiency drops, many LED bulbs are as low at 60 lumen per watt, and some of the strips are even lower, but where the LED unit is designed to replace a fluorescent lamp then they tend to be far better more like 100 lumen per watt as other wise not worth replacing the fluorescent as the fluorescent with a HF ballast is coming in at 90 ~ 95 lumen per watt. Also those designed to replace DC powered lamps also tend to run at 100 lumen per watt, they likely have to use PWM control to take the variable voltage often rated 10 ~ 36 volt. However both the extra low volt DC and the fluorescent tube replacement tend not to be dim-able.

If I was to design a rooms lighting then maybe I would worry about the lumen per watt, but where the design is an existing one, swapping 10 CFL for 10 LED since the CFL was so poor in the first place unlike the larger fluorescent tube, I would not worry if only 60 lumen per watt, it will be better than what it replaced.

As to dimming since there is no ambulance I see little point, they stay the same colour so may as well simply use less or more lamps rather than dim them. The problem with dimming is it can cause a stroboscopic effect as the two devices used to control them don't match. All too often a bulb fails and one buys a replacement at the nearest store. And then the problem starts. All well and good getting 10 bulb which match the dimmer to start with, but unless you hold a stock, then 5 years down the line your trying to find bulbs that work with your make of dimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back