what do you do to get walls surface even after taking paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just decorated my mums bedroom a few weeks ago. The problem I have is, that when you have stripped wallpaper off the walls, it takes a lot of the paint off the surface as well, which leaves the surface uneven for painting. I first hand sandpapered the wall, then I used an electric sander, although it doesn't look too bad I can see the uneven in parts.
What I am doing now is my bedroom,( my daughter gets married in 7weeks so I have to get a move on.) I have stripped the wallpaper off, although it wasn't quite as bad as my mums there is still a considerable amount of paint off the walls. What is preferably the best and quickest way to make the surface even so that I can just emulsion the walls. An electric sander didn't do the job properly last time.
I would really appreciate some help
regards Snakehips

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the reply. I kind of thought of lining paper but don't the seams show through when it is painted. I was going to wallpaper at first but thought painting would be quicker. So if there is no other way than putting lining paper on I might as well but really didn't want too.
sakehips

It's either a plaster skim or lining paper. No real alternative.

Sponsored Links
Keep the lining paper butted tight together without over lapping anything. When its all dry two or three good caots of emulsion should hide any joints. Thin the first coat down a little as the paper will be quite abscorbent.

I used lining paper followed by B&Q's own brand of Polycell's Basecoat. It's designed to cover hairline cracks so will cover over joins between runs of paper. With emulsion on top they're invisible.

Hi many thanks for your kind reply. I have now found a great way to get the wall even. I have bought a professional decorators heavy duty long handled scraper. I used a wallpaper stripper to heat up the paint on the wall for a few seconds, then it scrapes off like butter, really billiant, quicker than even scraping wallpaper off the wall.
thank you again for your reply
snakehips

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back