What do you think of this roofing job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I just paid a roofer £950 to replace my soffits and fascia boards and guttering with new plastic. He said he would remove the old wooden ones, but I can still see them in the photo so I do not think he did what he said he would do. But please look at the photo. This is at the end of my roof where it meets my neighbour's terraced house. Whay do you think of this?

IMG_0469.jpeg

thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
I just paid a roofer £950 to replace my soffits and fascia boards and guttering with new plastic.

Two things - 1. He hasn't removed the timber ones. 2. He hasn't done the soffits at all.

£950 was what I was quoted around ten years ago, for a similar job front and rear. I decided to avoid the aggravation and save myself most of the cost by doing them myself.

Two things - 1. He hasn't removed the timber ones. 2. He hasn't done the soffits at all.

£950 was what I was quoted around ten years ago, for a similar job front and rear. I decided to avoid the aggravation and save myself most of the cost by doing them myself.

Yes the timber is stil there. He has just fixed teh plastic over the top. The soffits are there.

wit-arrow.jpg

but the bottom edge of that fascia board should be sitting up flush to the soffit? Is that right? Surely he would have needed to trim the fasias to make them fit. That's how it works?

thanks

but the bottom edge of that fascia board should be sitting up flush to the soffit? Is that right? Surely he would have needed to trim the fasias to make them fit. That's how it works?

Maybe trim the fascias, but I am not seeing UPVC soffits, maybe a hint of fascia board used as soffit - the photo is to dark. Soffit are usually sat on the ledge of the fascia, the bottom lip of the L, and soffits are a double wall material. They fix between the bottom of the L and a U shaped channel fitted to the house wall.

Did they arrive to do the job on horses and wearing wide brimmed hats?

Sponsored Links
No need to take the existing timber off is it is still solid, but fitting a fascia that is 2" to big is poor. ( Lazy )

Sadly Harry Monk, your roofer could be a Y - Front. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back