What does Damp Seal and Anti Mould paint do?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are they the same, or totally different?

Having had condensation mould on wallpaper, I am planning to strip it off and paint (never been a fan of wallpaper anyway!). But, do I just use antimould paint, or use some damp seal too?

Sponsored Links
Ventilation is the key to stop condensation. Doesn't matter what you paint on the walls, if you don't sort the ventilation it will still cause damp and mould. Damp seal is used to seal walls that have penetrating damp, still useless if you don't cure the damp problem in the first place. Anti mould paint has chemicals in it that are supposed to stop the build up of mould from forming on the surface. Personally im not convinced they work as mould will occur with the right conditions.

We had a problem in part of the bathroom, tiles were mould free but there was a plastered and painted section above the window and a bit of coving that suffered frlm mould.

Used Ronseal Anti Mould paint, 4 coats of it about 8 months ago and it's not come back yet.

As said above ventilation is a big factor.

Generally, surface mould on walls is caused when the warm, moist air meets a cold surface to dew on.

Despite a fan which shifts 280m3 of water an hour and by leaving the bathroom window ajar (locked) when not in there, we still get light amounts of water on the wall. In the past, this would eventually turn to black mould spores, however after using the Ronseal stuff (probably same as Keithmac) it's not been able to grow. I should imagine without our ventilation efforts it would form regardless of the paint used.

Plan one day is to tank the whole bathroom!

Sponsored Links
glad to hear that it can work!

glad to hear that it can work!

I was very doubtful at first, because I don't believe in all of these 'one fix' items that claim to solve every problem, but I did have a tin of it and thought I'd give it a go. It does have a bit of a sheen to it though, so you need to do the whole wall otherwise it's obvious where you've put it.

Sheen is not a problem - I'll be putting it where I strip wallpaper off. It will be a "feature wall" to provide a nice clean contrast to the flowery wallpaper .....

Ronseal do a Matt and a Silk anti-mould.

Not cheap but I would deffinitely use it again!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back