What exactly is the principal elevation? Regarding a shed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a good look around the internet and know I can put a shed (less than 15sqm area and shorter than 2.5m high) anywhere in the garden providing it doesn't come forward of the front elevation. My question is what counts as the front elevation?

I live in a semi that was built in the 70's, it was built with a porch that comes forward of the house by about a 1.5 metres. The shed will come over the main wall by about 2 inches then a fence will run from the shed to the wall of the main house, hopefully joining the wall right on the corner.

Is the porch the front elevation or is it the main wall that forms the house?

The following property is very similar (as it was built at the same time around the corner from me): http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42162503.html

PS I'm planning on doing this through the permitted development rules to avoid messing about with the council.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddy

It's a bit disappointing as I had hoped that the fence would be flush with the wall to create a continuous line. It looks like I'll have to have it a bit further back. Hey ho, at least I know for sure now and won't be told to pull it down in the future. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Couldnt quite visualise what you were asking.. Click images at the top of this page, create an album and draw an image, save it and attach it to your post?

I drew this, based on what I think youre describing:
View media item 63436
Can't see why that wouldnt be permitted dev.. but if you're saying you want the new fence 2 inches in front of the principal elevation line, either:

Just build it 2 inches in front; that sort of distance noone is going to see, or
It's 2 inches! is it really going to make a difference to set it back 2 inch? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back