A question of Principal Elevation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum,

I would like to build a shed (log cabin) in my garden, and would like to ask your opinion on it's placement. The house as we use it (same for all 4 houses in the street), is pretty much back to front, i.e. road access is via the rear, primary access and post delivered at the rear.

The traditional "front" of the house is not used that way for all practical purposes, with that door only being opened onto the front garden on summer days. There is a public footpath going past the front of the house however as the council don't maintain it, its our responsibility (cuts through our land on the deeds).

My question is where would the Principal elevation of the house be based on this? I have attached a map to explain things a bit better.

Key:
Yellow - road/highway
Orange - public path/right of way
Blue - proposed site of shed
Red - traditional 'front' of property
Green - traditional 'rear' of property, though hopefully legal Principal Elevation

Any thoughts appreciated.

R.

principal elevation.png

Sponsored Links
I would like to think that your proposed shed sits in the rear garden.

The main access road and all the cars park at the 'front' and you and your neighbouring properties share amenity space to the 'rear'

It's pretty tough though, without knowing the area and getting the feel for it, also seeing the front and rear elevations of the properties may make a difference. When were the properties built? Has anyone else got any other outbuildings in the 'rear' of their gardens? Has anyone nearby applied for planning permission for any "front" or "rear" extensions? These would all help give a more informed opinion.

You could get a definitive view from the Local Planning Department for £103 by submitting a lawful development certificate for a proposed rear outbuilding and letting them do the work for you and have something tangible at the end of it. May be pertinent in this case unless you feel comfortable with going ahead.

If I came around for tea, having stalked you and without you telling me, which door would I knock?

BTw, you can't have a public footpath that is not maintained by the council.

Sponsored Links

The main access road and all the cars park at the 'front' and you and your neighbouring properties share amenity space to the 'rear'

It's pretty tough though, without knowing the area and getting the feel for it, also seeing the front and rear elevations of the properties may make a difference. When were the properties built? Has anyone else got any other outbuildings in the 'rear' of their gardens? Has anyone nearby applied for planning permission for any "front" or "rear" extensions? These would all help give a more informed opinion.

You could get a definitive view from the Local Planning Department for £103 by submitting a lawful development certificate for a proposed rear outbuilding and letting them do the work for you and have something tangible at the end of it. May be pertinent in this case unless you feel comfortable with going ahead.

Thanks Luke,

A nearby house currently for sale, to all intents is the same setup as ours. The most commonly used entrance where mail is delivered etc is in frame 1, whereas what would be the traditional "frontage" is frame 6, though not used for day to day purposes.So hoping to be able to prove that frame 1 is principal.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75791714.html

There are a couple of other houses of this type with sheds in the 'rear' garden (i.e. what looks like the front if you just saw a picture of it without the usage context). Gosh it's confusing :D

If I came around for tea, having stalked you and without you telling me, which door would I knock?

BTw, you can't have a public footpath that is not maintained by the council.

Hah,

You'd ring the doorbell at the rear (there's no doorbell or letter box at the other side).

The houses were built circa 1910 btw

That house you posted a link to is debatable. There's been a few bits of case law on this (one where properties were close to a river and they referred back to the old Ordnance Survey maps at appeal) but I can't recall the sites off my head. I don't like the fact the doorbell is at the 'rear' I still favour the rear being where your outbuilding is proposed, but I can definitely see arguments that prove that wrong.

I think a deciding factor is going to be around vehicular and pedestrian movements to and from the property. Put a sign up saying "All post to be delivered to the principle elevation (the other side)" refit the door bell and letter box, put some kids toys in the 'rear' garden and invite the planning officer, woody et al. during the application stage might ensure the decision goes in your favour.

That house you posted a link to is debatable. There's been a few bits of case law on this (one where properties were close to a river and they referred back to the old Ordnance Survey maps at appeal) but I can't recall the sites off my head. I don't like the fact the doorbell is at the 'rear' I still favour the rear being where your outbuilding is proposed, but I can definitely see arguments that prove that wrong.

I think a deciding factor is going to be around vehicular and pedestrian movements to and from the property. Put a sign up saying "All post to be delivered to the principle elevation (the other side)" refit the door bell and letter box, put some kids toys in the 'rear' garden and invite the planning officer, woody et al. during the application stage might ensure the decision goes in your favour.

All post is currently delivered to the side that I hope is considered as the principal elevation, as is the normal entrance for residents and visitors, vehicular access etc. Bins etc are also there. The proposed site for the outbuilding is much more private, we would place the sun loungers, garden furniture, swingball, paddling pool and bbq there in the summer, and there are benches there year round. It is very private - 95% hidden from the public path by 7ft hedge, with only a small gate leading onto the path. For all purposes it is our "back" garden, even though to look at both faces of the house it probably looks more like a traditional 'front garden' in that the bay windows are there. On the left of the attached photo is the door we very seldom use, minus any doorbell or letterbox.

Untitled 8.png

Have you got a picture of the b̶a̶c̶k̶,̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶n̶t̶ other side?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back