Principal Elevation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone tell me if a principal elevation can change after alteration of a house?The widest part of my house fronts the road and historically the front door was here. The house is around 150 years old. 5 yrs ago we made a "side door" the front door and access it by drive and blocked in old front door. We built a porch around the new front door so that this side of the house looks like front of house. The planners have said this changes the principal elevation to the new front of the house I understood that principal elevation related to the original house as of 1948 and couldn't change even after alterations. Any suggestions if planners are right? Many thanks. Tim

Sponsored Links
Your LPA is incorrect. The principal elevation is that of the house as it was in 1948 (or as originally if built before that date, as in your case).

Tony. Thanks for your reply that is what I understood but they said it is possible for the Principal Elevation to change. Do you by any chance know where the reference saying that it is as the house was in 1948 and can't change?

Th

I thought that the the concept of "principle elevation" is relatively new from when the recent permitted development changes came in, as some of these were based on the definition of principle elevation - whereas the previous regime was not.

So it may well be that the principle elevation could change if the physical attributes that defines it changes. But this is just a guess.

Sponsored Links
The principal elevation is the one which faces the main highway serving the house. The 'principle' elevation is that ill-fated monolith upon which the Labour party set out their manifesto.

I thought that the the concept of "principle elevation" is relatively new from when the recent permitted development changes came in, as some of these were based on the definition of principle elevation - whereas the previous regime was not.

So it may well be that the principle elevation could change if the physical attributes that defines it changes. But this is just a guess.

Looked this up on the 'Planning Jungle' website; there are 5 appeal cases in which inspectors have determined that the 'principal elevation' is that pertaining to when the house was built. It seems it cannot, in planning terms, change, even if later alterations have made what seems like a new 'principal elevation'.

inspectors have determined that the 'principal elevation' is that pertaining to when the house was built. It seems it cannot, in planning terms, change, even if later alterations have made what seems like a new 'principal elevation'.

Our house was built in about 1875 and is approached by a drive round to the "back" of the house, which was then the main entrance. In about 1913 the "front" was switched round and a porch constructed round what was originally the back door, this face fronting the road, and an extension built on the old front. The road went through what was originally the farmyard, with outbuildings on the other side, hence the backdoor on that side.

So the two assertions made here are inconsistent - the principal elevation cannot be both the original face and the one facing the road.

Our house was built in about 1875 and is approached by a drive round to the "back" of the house, which was then the main entrance. In about 1913 the "front" was switched round and a porch constructed round what was originally the back door, this face fronting the road, and an extension built on the old front. The road went through what was originally the farmyard, with outbuildings on the other side, hence the backdoor on that side.

So the two assertions made here are inconsistent - the principal elevation cannot be both the original face and the one facing the road.

In that case, the 'principal elevation' would be that existing on 1st July 1948.

Last edited:
Looked this up on the 'Planning Jungle' website; there are 5 appeal cases in which inspectors have determined that the 'principal elevation' is that pertaining to when the house was built. It seems it cannot, in planning terms, change, even if later alterations have made what seems like a new 'principal elevation'.

As each appeal turns on its own facts, were those decisions stating that the particular elevation in the specific appeal was that when the house was built, or stating that all principle elevations are - and referring to other cases as precedent?

My Planning department have agreed that the principal elevation was where the old front door leading to the road was , but following the alterations we made are saying that the principal elevation has now changed. I was wondering ( Tony ) if you could let me know what / how you search for on the jungle website for those 5 cases so I can submit these details to the planning department to back my case? thanks. Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back