What fixings to use to anchor wall plate/bearer

25 Jun 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am going to strengthen the flooring in my loft in order to be able to store heavier items up there. I have consulted a structural engineer("SE") and he was happy with the proposal to put in new 8"(200mm x 50mm) floor joists hung from joist hangers off a timber wall plate/bearer bolted onto each of the existing gable end (masonary) walls (running 90 degrees to the existing celing joists). The joists will span approx 3.6m from one gable wall to the other and I will screw down through the new joitss into the existing celing joists. I ahve also been advised to put in "strutting" in the middle of the span.

I was going to use a 200mmx 50mm floor joist as the wall plate
My question is what size/ type of fixings should I use to bolt(anchor?) the timber wall plate to the brick walls. I was going to use "sleeve bolts" (apologies if I've got the exact terminology wrong) but now I remember that the SE mentioned "resin bolts". I've had a look on the internet but am more confused now than before!

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local