What flap valve to prevent backflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed my evacuated tube solar panel and it's working well, picking up heat even in this weather. However I'm amazed at how warm the manifold remains after sunset; the manifold sensor will be showing around 20C at sunset and this will take several hours to drop to ambient temperature. This means that either:

1 - The manifold is incredibly well insulated and is holding the heat in the bulbs at the ends of the tubes and the copper manifold.

Or:

2 - Warmed water is back-flowing up through the coil into the manifold, which is about 6' vertically above the cylinder.

I plan to rejig some of the pipework soon and think I will install a valve to prevent backflow; I understand that I need a flap valve which I will put in a vertical position on the flow from the coil to prevent cold water from dropping back down into the coil.

The pump is a small plastic jobbie that is rated for a 2m head so I doubt if it will overcome the resistance of a standard anti-backflow valve. Can anybody point me in the direction of a 15mm flap valve that requires only the lightest pressure to operate?

Sponsored Links
an anti gravity valve may work but not seen one in years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back