Connecting a boiler to a buffer with UFH

I think (as a non-plumber) you and John are right – the boiler can’t transfer the heat well enough via an indirect coil so its cycling on and off as the return is too hot – direct connection would be best – flow into the top of the tank, return from the bottom, mixed to suit the boiler. The secondary flow tapping could be used like you say. Ideally, you could do with more holes in your cylinder – direct would be best for both the boiler and the ufh – and as you say, stratification isn’t a problem as there’s no hot water section to worry about – you just need a whole tank of warmish water for your ufh, so mixing it all up probably won’t make much difference, provided the odd draft of water doesn’t trip a single cylinder stat on or off.

Using two or even all three indirect coils in series would be a second option, but you might still find the boiler cycles if it’s only dropping a few degrees through one coil.

Your existing connections being upside down with the flow at the bottom of the coil seem odd – no idea why that’s been done, but hey, I’m not a plumber.

Oil boilers need a well controlled return temp I think? – as John says - so a thermostatic mixing valve or loading valve would be good (£££), and would make the boiler more efficient. Laddomat/esbe (sp?) do specific loading valves for gravity-fed stoves, no difference to a tmv here though.

You say the tank is not heating beyond 50 degrees – if it’s just for ufh, chances are it shouldn’t get much hotter anyway, to protect any hard flooring, unless as above there’s a separate mixing valve on the ufh manifold. Most ufh co's recommend a separate stat that cuts the ufh pump if the flow goes overtemp anyway.
Hotter the cylinder gets, the more wasteful of energy it is. If you have rads running off the cylinder as well as ufh, then yes, you might need it warmer unless the rads are seriously over-sized.

You’re right - any ‘standard’ (if there is such a thing) buffer/thermal store only taps off for the ufh halfway down on the cylinder as the top half is kept much hotter to provide hot water supply – you’ve got that hot water covered with a second cylinder, so I’d have thought you can run the tank at 50-60 and take the ufh right out of the top. Set temp might depend on whether it’s open vented or not – legionaires – plumber should know about that. I would hope. He’ll have a book on it somewhere.

Your ufh shouldn’t need an additional pump if you already have one on each manifold. Plumber should have told you that, unless he's on commission from Grundfos. If there’s two pumps with a manifold each, you might need to split the flow with zone valves?

If you want heated towel rails, again you’d have to split the flow from the cylinder (Y plan or S plan, I can’t remember which is which buzzword, tee’d/split anyway) – from the cylinder top tapping it would be tee’d with one side with a 2 port valve to the ufh, the valve controlled by the ufh manifold wiring centre using the switch in the valve to power the manifold pump, and the other side with a 2 port valve to your towel rad circuit, with it’s own pump, set on a timer. So if you’ve got two manifolds plus a set of towel rails, you’d have a Z plan. W plan? Double Y plan? Not sure if they have a name for three zone valves. Plumber may get a migraine at this point and give you a sick note written by his mum. Or at least start sweating, mentioning part P and mumbling about an electrician.

As said above, more for safety than anything else, you need a decent plumber/heating engineer who's done this sort of thing before. Your design is complex, and needs a guy with real experience.
Complex heating installations such as the OP's requires skilled, experienced and clever operatives.
There like hens teeth these days.
THAT is the hardest bit.

Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
Is it a condensing oil boiler?

To get the best results from a condensing boiler, the FLOW needs to be below dew point, not just the return. This is 43C for an oil boiler. This is easily achieved with a condensing boiler and UFH if they are correctly installed.

You should do away with the buffer vessel [and any mixing valves] and connect the UFH directly to the boiler with weather compensated control.

It is absolutely ridiculous to run a condensing boiler at high temperature, into a buffer store, and then to mix down to a suitable underfloor temperature! The weather comp will usually reduce boiler cycling.

You can't get better overall efficiency than this. See also recent posts on this topic.

There you go - someone experienced with the right knowledge of oil boilers.
Just proves my point - without the right plumber, it's an uphill struggle.

Have a look at this. Its not my work but I went to have a look at this a few years ago before I commenced work on a similar project.
Note the rotary shoe mixing valve connected directly to the buffer cylinder with no primary circulator supplying the load port.
You can't have this arrangement with an ufh tmv as the load port of the valve needs positive pressure supplied by a primary circulator.

If you decide to go ahead with the buffer cylinder then one way is to apply weather compensation directly to the boiler and no mixing valves needed.
The problem arises however if you have radiators or towel rails fitted as these need a higher flow temperature.
Also oil boiler manufacturers will usually have minimum return temperatures stipulated in the MI's.
A grant vortex is 40c after operating temperature is reached.

I didn't use the above method.
Rehau have an online booklet that shows a similar arrangement to the one I used.
The buffer cylinder above cost almost £1800 and the controller installation is a similar cost.
But with a sophisticated controller like a siemens rvp 331 the buffer just isn't needed imo.

Sponsored Links
A non-condensing boiler must not condense, and the above would be good, although it is overkill for a private house. The return temp must be kept up.

A condensing boiler needs to be encouraged to condense - this means operation at the lowest temperature consistent with securing the heat output you want. Underfloor heating connected directly to the boiler and controlled by weather compensation at the boiler [NOT MIXER] is the best possible way to do it. They are made for each other!

That looks seriously tidy!

I have a store/buffer, mainly because eventually we'll have solar, wood and gas, and I have gradually collected bits from ebay to add weather compensation to my rad circuit - a kanmor up36 controller and a honeywell 3 port rotary valve as in the pic. I've got lucky - it's only cost just over £100 so far, but I'm still not convinced it's worth doing as it doesn't alter the boiler performance or store charging temps at all. Not really proper weather compensation, more like a clever room stat.

If you did apply weather compensation direct to the boiler, surely the cylinder stat on the buffer would override any control the weather comp has over the boiler. Warm weather would make the boiler run cooler for longer, to charge the store until the stat's demand is satisfied?

If you did apply weather compensation direct to the boiler, surely the cylinder stat on the buffer would override any control the weather comp has over the boiler. Warm weather would make the boiler run cooler for longer, to charge the store until the stat's demand is satisfied?

In the above image the buffer has no thermostat.
The boiler supplies a weather compensated flow temperature through the buffer cylinder with a heating curve set for the radiator system.
The mixing valve then provides the WC flow temperature control for the ufh.

Here's a brief list of what the Siemens controller does..
• Frost protection for the plant, the boiler and the house or building
• Minimum limitation of the return temperature.
• Minimum and maximum limitation of the flow temperature
• Maximum limitation of the room temperature
• Periodic pump run
• Pump overrun
• Maximum limitation of the rate of setpoint increase
• Legionella function
• Manual d.h.w. charging

Have a look here for more info...
http://tiny.cc/uhvh8

That, right there, is the future. Complete overkill for a 3 bed semi, but it'd save a fortune in a big house.
Being able to weather-comp or control hot water and 2 different circuits independently, even one with weather comp and the other purely by roomstat is perfect for space heating both with rads and ufh - makes the single circuit kanmor thing I'm thinking about fitting look like something out of the ark.
Boiler is kept in exactly the right state for maximum efficiency, for the maximum amount of time 'cos the box of tricks controls the burner directly as well as further 3 port mixing control - so you can run the rads and ufh on separate blended circuits with the boiler constantly re-adjusting for max efficiency. Space heating temp blending curve is fully adjustable as well from what I can see. Then when hot water is needed the boiler goes flat out at it to charge the cylinder up - it even knows what the final cylinder temp will be, so adjusts boiler o/p to suit. I think.
Don't even pretend to understand all of it, but it looks damn clever.
I shall phone a few local plumbers and ask if they've heard of it :evil:

hi i am a heating engineer. Unfortunately i havent read the full thread so excuse me if i have missed anything. As per your boiler cycling, what KW is it?

Sounds to me like either your boiler is over sized or the cylinder is undersized. Ask your RGI to down rate your gas rate.

Personally i would bin the thermal store idea. You would be much better off going with a twin coil setup and run the UFH direct from a boiler coupled with weather comp. This way you have the best of both worlds.

As mystery man says Viessmann are AMAZING. As a registered installer i cant recommend them enough. I would recommend the 200w system boiler which now comes with weather compensation as standard. Also IIRC the boiler software will be plugable to include solar contol in the future.

If you wanted to go for the DADDY of all boilers then wait a couple weeks and order a 242 which is basically a 200w system boiler coupled with a twin coil cylinder, solar control and weather comp as standard. All for the tidy price of approx 3400

They also do a plug an play optimized circuit for your variable temp RAD circuits. (can also be used with the 100 series)

Edit Also to mention that if you do decide to go down the WC route then you also have to ensure that your rads etc are sized correctly.
HTH

Gareth

Exactly, I would say he needs a competent heating engineer but the OP has already employed a plumber.

You can always tell the difference Tony............

Competent heating engineers can't fit kitchen sinks :LOL: :LOL:

says who? Ill build you a house from scratch (minus paying a bricky) and im a competant commecial/domestic Heating Engineer!!!!!! :evil:

hi i am a heating engineer. Unfortunately i havent read the full thread so excuse me if i have missed anything. As per your boiler cycling, what KW is it?

Gareth

It does not sound as if you are very careful with your work if you make a reply without reading and assimilating everything that has been written.

Exactly, I would say he needs a competent heating engineer but the OP has already employed a plumber.

You can always tell the difference Tony............

Competent heating engineers can't fit kitchen sinks :LOL: :LOL:

says who? Ill build you a house from scratch (minus paying a bricky) and im a competant commecial/domestic Heating Engineer!!!!!! :evil:

I'm competent to and just about to build my own place thank you ;)

If you had been registered here earlier You would've heard a certain engineer whose name sounds a bit like 'toeknee' asking how to fit one :LOL:

Gareth

It does not sound as if you are very careful with your work if you make a reply without reading and assimilating everything that has been written.

LOL it was 10.15pm last night and i was tired so just for YOU i will now read the thread from start to finish!!!!! I had scanned from the beginning and though i may be able to help a little. SORRY SIR lol

Gareth

Right so now that i have read from start to finish i still cant see what is wrong with asking what KW the boiler is? Ok bin my thought of unvented hot water as that doesnt come into play here.

My thoughts was to why his 300l cylinder isnt getting over 50 deg heated via a single primary coil. Clearly summit is wrong here. So break it down either the coil is too small for the cylinder (blocked maybe) or the boiler is over sized. Either way the boiler shouldnt be cycling when the cylinder is only at 50 deg.

S A

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the helpful comments here.
The boiler is 35kw, condensing oil boiler.
My guess why the cycling is occurring is that it was not connected to the primary coil by the the 'plumber' (I don't know if he even qualifies to be called one, there have been some other huge mistakes this guy has made since installing this boiler, which I won't go into now, but would be entertaining for you guys I'm sure!...)

I'll knock together a diagram of the connections asap, but from recent looking at the system, he has connected the boiler to a middle-coil in the 300L tank, which probably has a smaller surface area that would be desirable.

The connections are currently:
300L tripple coil DHW (solar tank): top-coil - open, bot-coil 1 - boiler, bot-coil 2 - solar.
300L tripper coil CH : top-coil - heated towel rads, middle coil - boiler, bot-coil - solar.

The solar tank seems to have 2 bottom coils, but the other tank definitely has a botttom, middle and top coil, my guess is the middle coil is not very big.

The solar uses the CH tank as a dump-load in case a given day heats the DHW tank up too much - but I don't think it should be on the bottom coil, like it has been connected.

As I say, I'll try to knock together a diagram of how it is now, and how I intend to change it, so it should make everything much easier to explain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back