What happened in the Beginning?

Sponsored Links
no, I'm sure it wasnt, but you know what I mean (I hope! - no offence intended to SE UK dwellers). It is amazing (to me anyway) the differences in infrastructure between there and here. the blue road signs end south of Glasgow. mobile 3G ends at Inverness. the rails stop at Thurso.

curiosity, what are your "current" internet uplink/downlink speeds? I have 215K up, 900K down. for which I pay £17/month. this I presume is due to the distance and crapness of my "last mile", probably the exchange equipment is the same for both of us.

it amazes me how London-centric the BBC is.
still this is all very off topic.

In the 1950s I lived for a while on a remote farm in Lincolnshire.
There was an ancient and unreliable diesel generator in an outhouse.
The thump thump thump from the engine could be felt through the floor, and it produced a pulsating line across the TV screen.

When the engine started to conk out, it ran down very slowly, having a heavy flywheel, so was only initially noticeable as a change in note. But the TV picture would get smaller and then cut out.
My aunt lit the oil lamps while my uncle went out to struggle with the engine. After a while the slow thumping would gradually resume, and the picture came back on.

My father recalled that in Leeds in the 1920s there were two electricity suppliers, depending on the exact area. They were at slightly different voltages (210 and 250, I think) and all appliances, lightbulbs etc were rated differently depending on where you lived.
I still have his 65w soldering iron, which overheats if left on too long because it was made for the low voltage region.

no, I'm sure it wasnt, but you know what I mean (I hope! - no offence intended to SE UK dwellers). It is amazing (to me anyway) the differences in infrastructure between there and here. the blue road signs end south of Glasgow. mobile 3G ends at Inverness. the rails stop at Thurso.
I saw a documentary a few years ago about the declining population on Scottish islands etc, as the younger generation decide not to live the life of their parents.

They interviewed one couple who weren't sure if their son would return to make a life there (can't remember where "there was"), now that he was "away down south to the university".

Interviewer: "Where has he gone?"

Parent(s): "Aberdeen."

Sponsored Links
true, true, I quite agree :LOL:. Sorry I needed that spelt out :oops: irony/tone does not transmit well through the medium of the humble internet forum. Perhaps that's why I have a bewildering selection of "Smilies" at my disposal :) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back