Advice needed about electric cables going over my land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a semi. Next door's supply cable comes in from a telegraph pole at roof level, then across the front of my house and into theirs. Trouble is I have to have some structural repair work done which should (to be safe) involve disconnecting their supply.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if there is any route to getting next door's supply redirected so it doesn't go over my land without it costing me an arm and a leg. I doubt the neighbours will be the slightest bit interested in paying anything. The deeds for the house only mention rights or running water, nothing about electricity, so I wonder which laws prevent me from just cutting the cable (there must be some, presumably). Not that I would attempt such a thing, but it makes me wonder.

thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
If the cables have been there for a long time & are not a new thing then they will have rights now, there may be a wayleave that the power company have for it.

You need to be speaking to the power company responsible to make arrangements about this, it is their cable.
It will cost you.
Your neighbours could also do with some nice conversations & a few bottles of wine/6 packs to get them to also agree to the disruption.

Trouble is I have to have some structural repair work done which should (to be safe) involve disconnecting their supply.
What type of cable is it and what condition is it in?

Sponsored Links
Trouble is I have to have some structural repair work done which should (to be safe) involve disconnecting their supply.
What type of cable is it and what condition is it in?

I'm afraid I have no idea what type of cable it is, just that it is quite thick. It looks in good condition, but I'd like to replace an arch just below it with a lintel, and I suspect the builders will want the supply cut off (maybe they won't but I thought I'd inquire about moving it first anyhow).

cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back