Burying power lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 large poles (like telegraph poles) on my land carrying the mains supply to my house. One has what appears to be a step down transformer and the one closest to the house doesn't.

Ideally I would like both to be removed and the cables buried and I was wondering whether anyone had an idea of cost? I know for the definitive answer I would need to speak to the electricity board but I was just after a broad order of magnitude if possible?

I suspect moving the one with the transformer on would be too costly but maybe the one closer to the house wouldn't be too bad?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
Yes you need to fill in their form, that's the only way you'll know for sure. Ask for two quotes, one with transformer 'removal' and one without.

I'd say £80k for the lot (transformer relocated into a new modular substation) and £10k for the one pole.

It can also depend on what wayleave they have acquired to cross your land, you can only ask.

Yes you need to fill in their form, that's the only way you'll know for sure. Ask for two quotes, one with transformer 'removal' and one without.

I'd say £80k for the lot (transformer relocated into a new modular substation) and £10k for the one pole.

Jeez - and would the OP be expected to stump up the full amount or, as it's on his land, can he insist the DNO move it at their cost?

Sponsored Links
as it's on his land, can he insist the DNO move it at their cost?
If a way leave was agreed ( maybe with the previous owner ) for the pole to be placed there then the DNO have the right to put it there. They should be paying rent, a few pounds a year at most.

If the pole is very old and possibly starting to deteriorate then the DNO may feel they can ( or need to ) replace it with a new pole. If this conversation between you and the DNO starts then you can try offering to allow them to run it underground in a trench and ducting that you dig and lay.

That would get rid of one pole and may get rid of both.

I'm not sure the cost would be quite as high as suggested but only the DNO can say.
If the poles solely supply the OPs property they would not be subject to a wayleave and he would be liable for the full costs. It is only if they supply other properties as well that there may be room to manoeuvre

They only supply my house and one of them is in the way as its within about 2m of the gable end. Could really do with getting at least the closest one moved!!

Thanks

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back