Regulations regarding a buried spur to power garage?

I really wish the people building the development hadn't scrimped on the £100 per house to put a power line in the garage in the first place when digging foundations and laying roads, it just seems such an obvious thing to do!
One can usually say that about lots of things in relation to new developments, but unless it is a overtly 'up-market' (aka expensive) development, it's usually the potential buyers who do not want the houses to cost a penny more than the absolute minimum that 'can be got away with' - which means only necessities, and no 'frills'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yeah but this IS a better class of development - it's right in the city centre in a prime location. Generally they're bigger and nicer than standard new-builds but corners have been cut on the things which really wouldn't save much. Kind of a shame. These sell for probably 2X as much as a new-build a mile down the road as it's such a prime area.

Oh well...

Yeah but this IS a better class of development - it's right in the city centre in a prime location. Generally they're bigger and nicer than standard new-builds but corners have been cut on the things which really wouldn't save much. Kind of a shame. These sell for probably 2X as much as a new-build a mile down the road as it's such a prime area.
Fair enough - it sounds that you have paid for location, which is a fair enough choice. I guess that if you had paid the same for one of those houses a mile down the road, you might have got a really highly-specified house, albeit in a far less desirable location! Horses for courses, I suppose!

Kind Regards, John

The OP needs to google "easement" and "wayleave" then go and see a Solicitor!

So 22 hours on and not a comment, a thanks or anything from the OP.
I've thanked people throughout the thread for helpful comments... if it is so complicated it needs solicitors it's just not worth doing, the garage is so close I can just sling an extension cord as I do now! Solicitor's fees would probably double the cost of the work, which has already got out of hand in terms of complexity.

I really wish the people building the development hadn't scrimped on the £100 per house to put a power line in the garage in the first place when digging foundations and laying roads, it just seems such an obvious thing to do!

So not even a thank you for the most relevant answer then!

Sponsored Links
If the OP didn't find the post relevant then he need not thank you for it, especially as he'd been moaned at for not coming back within 24hrs. People have lives to lead, jobs to go to. Most of us cannot be online 24/7 to read back on posts. In fact, given the general return rate from new OPs, we should be grateful he replied at all!

Also we are not doing this solely for the benefit of the poster. Forums are useful tools to read, learn and debate the relevant subject, and once you've done that over 4 pages, as in this thread, you have the conversation immortalised on the Internet and google searches for future reference.

If the OP didn't find the post relevant then he need not thank you for it, especially as he'd been moaned at for not coming back within 24hrs. People have lives to lead, jobs to go to. Most of us cannot be online 24/7 to read back on posts. In fact, given the general return rate from new OPs, we should be grateful he replied at all!

Also we are not doing this solely for the benefit of the poster. Forums are useful tools to read, learn and debate the relevant subject, and once you've done that over 4 pages, as in this thread, you have the conversation immortalised on the Internet and google searches for future reference.

But he was all over the forum like a bad rash when he thought he'd be getting step by step guide information how to do it!

Bad manners

Having bought a nearly new house 18onths ago - I had an outside garage supplied off the downstairs ring main to a 63a garage consumer unit via swa cable. Ok there were originally 2 double sockets and 2 lamps in there - before previous owner added more sockets.... When upgrading the loft area the chop saw was tripping the downstairs ring.... that's when I finally worked out how the garage was supplied I wasn't happy. So I rang a qualified electrician who had the tools to do the job for me in about 3hrs running a 10mm2 cable from a new rcd off the consumer unit to a new consumer unit in the garage. he only had to bury a small run of the cable granted but at least I got the full certification off him and I know I can carry out some serious diy work out in the garage without tripping the electrics. I am 17th edition qualified test and inspect qualified and have the multifunction test kit - however as a factory electrician maintaining production machines I felt I didn't have the kit, time or experience to get the job done quickly safely and have the correct paperwork issued to comply with part p and the building regs. I have been told all the houses on the site have the garages supplied similarly and don't believe they comply despite being signed off by proper contractors, good job I wasn't the first time owner. So if you are planning even using a chop saw in a diy run I definitely don't recommend off the downstairs ring supply just for practical reasons never mind the regs....

Not sure I follow.

Why do you blame your garage connection for the reason your saw caused a trip.

Was it the rcd that tripped?

And why did your electrician replace an 18 month old consumer unit in the garage?

And why did he just install an RCD at the house end? The cable should have been protected by a fuse or breaker at the very least.

Neallew's description may, I think have been a bit ambiguous, but his point is sound and he is supporting earlier posts on sensible ways of dealing with situations.
To go back to the OP - couple of points
Never trust a drawing of services; they are usually produced before the work commences and deviations are not always recorded.
If it is a high value area then that "dead end" is likely to be used in the future. This would probably involve heavy vehicles moving across your trench, but, more of a worry would be that without a proper wayleave now you could be required to remove your cable and pay for making good. This could be eye-wateringly expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back