Help with garage power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm installing power in my garage and I need a bit of help to clarify a few things.

The garage is separated from the house by a driveway (luckily not paved). The fuse box in the house has a spare 15 A fuse, and I am going to connect a cable to that and run it underground under the driveway and up into the garage.

In the garage it'll be powering a few sockets and strip lights.

Anyway, my mate said if I bury the cable deep enough (he said about 12 inches) it wouldn't need to be put in plastic conduit - is this right?

Sponsored Links
bizzle said:
Hi

I'm installing power in my garage and I need a bit of help to clarify a few things.

The garage is separated from the house by a driveway (luckily not paved). The fuse box in the house has a spare 15 A fuse, and I am going to connect a cable to that and run it underground under the driveway and up into the garage.

In the garage it'll be powering a few sockets and strip lights.

Anyway, my mate said if I bury the cable deep enough (he said about 12 inches) it wouldn't need to be put in plastic conduit - is this right?

if you bury cable it MUST be SWA. and SWA doesnt need to be in plastic conduit....
also, it needs to be buried 450mm deep which is 18 inch

I've got 20m of 13A flex which I was planning on using, can I use that instead of SWA if I put it in conduit?

bizzle said:
I've got 20m of 13A flex which I was planning on using, can I use that instead of SWA if I put it in conduit?

you ****in idiot. call a sparky before you kill someone.

ive already told you. use SWA and do it properly. are you also aware that this is notifiable to building control and its illegal not to get them to issue certs for it? and they wont when they see flex burried 300mm underground.

Sponsored Links
I only asked because I was told that flex would be safe if it was protected. I wasn't sure that's why I asked for a second opinion.

bizzle said:
I only asked because I was told that flex would be safe if it was protected. I wasn't sure that's why I asked for a second opinion.

if you think its acceptable to bury flex in the ground, unprotected then you shouldnt be doin anything with electrics

and i would call protected being in steel conduit. altho i doubt you have the equipment needed to use this.

and just how much protection do you think plastic conduit gives when you put a spade thru it when doin the garden?!

and in your first post you said you were told it didnt ned protecting, and then you you just said you were told it does

Yes, I was told that it wouldn't need protecting if it was deep enough, because it would be very unlikely to put a spade through it.

bizzle said:
Yes, I was told that it wouldn't need protecting if it was deep enough, because it would be very unlikely to put a spade through it.

its still not good enough. it needs to be adequatly protected. just because its 300mm now it mght not be in a few years once you have lowered part of the garden or whatever. do it properly, which youll have to do anyway if you want to do it legally and involve BC

andrew2022 said:
bizzle said:

you **** idiot. call a sparky before you kill someone.

ive already told you. use SWA and do it properly. are you also aware that this is notifiable to building control and its illegal not to get them to issue certs for it? and they wont when they see flex burried 300mm underground.

Now there just aint no need to be abusive is there the bloke was only asking for advice, :evil:

i wonder how he will connect it?!

spoonplug.jpg

(image stolen from adam151)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back