Garage power supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Due to my neighbours driveway being between my garage and my garden I am having difficulty getting power to my garage without digging up the driveway and running a cable through his property. Would it be acceptable to run a swa to the end of my garden into a commando socket and then have a cable in my garage connected to the garage consumer unit with a commando plug on the other end the distance of this would be 5 metres.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It really doesn't sound like a good soloution to me since the cable would be both a trip hazard and at risk of damage. I guess you could use one of those rubber protectors that are used for temporary outdoor stuff but I'm not sure I'd trust those for use on a long term basis.

Surely the whole point of a plug & socket is that he'd only plug the garage in when he was in there, and the rest of the time it would be unplugged and the cable not running across the driveway?

Karlm - what traffic passes over the driveway - could the cable run overhead?

plugwash,

Routing of the cable is no problem it can be kept out of the way fairly easily, there is no risk of damage from vehicles and ban-all-sheds is right in saying that it will only be plugged in when I am out there. my main concern was whether it would meet the current standards, I need to change my consumer unit also as it is re-wireable fuse's so I am just trying to get an idea of how to get around these problems and what is involved so I can start getting some prices.

Sponsored Links
what kind of current are you planning on using out there?

why go to all that bother ( and Part P expense ) ? just buy a long extension lead in 2.5mm cable and plug it in in the house when you need it..

Coljack,

I am restoring a car so mainly it is for lighting but I will be running a single phase 13amp mig welder. Ideally I wanted a permanent instalation but as mentioned this is proving difficult so I am looking for the next best thing that is in line with the latest reg's. My mate is part P so I was looking at doing the donkey work to keep the cost down.

It sounds like a means to an end although have you considered going over head over the drive with two poles?

to do it your way requires..

16A waterproof ceeform socket
Xm of 2.5mm² 3 core SWA ( min 2.5 )
cleats
20A RCBO or 20A MCB+RCD at the board
20A DP switch in the house ( don't want the neighbours vacuuming their car with your leccy.. :) )

Time and effort plus Part P notification from your mate..

the extension lead idea requires

Xm long 2.5mm² extension lead
Plug in RCD for the socket you plug it into..
and that's all..

you could always dig an inspection pit in the floor of you garage then do a "great escape" and tunnel under the driveway... :)

If I did the extension lead method the misus would be able to cut my power supply off when she wanted to which she would probably do until I finish the decorating, apparently 5 years is an excessive amount of time to still be doing the bathroom....it'll be nice when its done though.

Its taken you 5 years plus to do a bathroom and now you are going to restore a car?

You do realise that there will be no petrol left by the time you've finished the restoration? :LOL:

sure there will if we start burying all the cows and things in mass graves.. they'll be oil by the time he's done..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back