110V Transformer for Workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a router I brought from the US. It doesn't have an earth pin, only a live and neutral. Requires 650W. I will be using it in my shed.

I am looking at getting a step-down transformer. Cost of a 1000W one is £70 and the product descriptions are a bit vague about continuous use.

However, on gumtree I can get for £20 a work site 110V 3.3kV transformer, which I believe is designed for continuous use and 650W is well within it's capabilities.

As I understand it these things are center-tapped-earth with two poles, each at 55V.

I can buy the matching yellow 110V connector from Maplin for £2.

So that leaves the question of how to connect the router to the transformer.

Is it as simple as connecting live to one pole and neutral to the other pole?

Thanks, Andy

Sponsored Links
There can be issues with US machines designed for a 60hz supply running on a UK 50hz supply.

They sell routers in the UK designed for UK supplies.

There can be issues with US machines designed for a 60hz supply running on a UK 50hz supply.

They sell routers in the UK designed for UK supplies.

Thanks, yes, I understand that. I have some CNC-related accessories that are specific to this router that will be expensive/difficult to replace. For £22 I'm willing to take the risk in running the wrong frequency.

Any thoughts on how it can be connected up?

Thanks, Andy

Yellow brick transformers are not continuously rated, but I assume you'll use the router for a bit and then stop for a while? A 650W machine should not cause much issue with a 3.3kVA transformer but don't be tempted to buy anything smaller.

Yes you just connect one wire to each of the "live and neutral" pins (although they are both really lives)

Sponsored Links
Per the above, although I was rather surprised and thought "6amps? that must be one hell of a big router"

But then I realised that your meant router and not router :LOL:

I have some CNC-related accessories that are specific to this router that will be expensive/difficult to replace.
How expensive/difficult will it be to replace the router itself?

For £22 I'm willing to take the risk in running the wrong frequency.
Is the risk still worth taking for £22 + £new router?

Do you actually know what the risks are?

Have you asked the manufacturer if it's OK to run it on a 50Hz supply?

I would not expect there to be a problem with speed as in most cases a brushed motor and if it runs slow not likely to cause danger.

We of course don't have line and neutral with 110 volt we have two lines in the main there is no problem with that as most drills etc are double pole switching but there are the odd exceptions.

The tin box transformer is normally designed for continuous use and uses very little current when no current is being drawn. The yellow brick however uses a fair bit of current just sitting there plugged in. Also with the tin box MCB's are normally fitted on input and output with the yellow brick input only is protected and as a result there is a very real fire risk under fault conditions left unattended.

With the tin box you may be able to configure as 110 - 0 if not double pole switching. I have a 110 volt transformer and a UPS which was selected to give 60 Hz not all do many switch off the inverter when supply is sound. Oddly I really don't need 60Hz only use it for soldering iron the drill is never used.

A motor designed for 60 Hz is likely to take more current when on a 50 Hz supply as a lot of the current limiting is due to the AC impedance of the windings. This AC impedance is frequency dependent and reducing frequency reduces the AC impedance and hence the current at 50 Hz is higher than at 60 Hz.

In a small ( compact ) motor this increase in current could result in the motor over heating.

How expensive/difficult will it be to replace the router itself?

So far I haven't found a reasonably priced trim/laminate router in the UK that accepts precision collets for low runout. I'm still looking though.

Do you actually know what the risks are?

I posted on here looking for feedback. What is your opinion?

Have you asked the manufacturer if it's OK to run it on a 50Hz supply?

There seems to be two clear camps of thought. Those that think it will kill the router and those that think it would be fine. If I called the manufacturer I will likely get some tech support person who has never been asked the question before, and if they are in doubt about anything they will just answer "no". At least that is my presumption.

So I figured the friendly folks on forums have real world knowledge and experience to share, unlike a single person at the manufacturer who possibly makes a guess at the answer and I will be forced to take as authoritative.

If I don't try the router then it is a paperweight. Can't use it in the UK, can't sell it in the UK, not economical to take it back to the US. So it may as well be broken. I figured if I kill it with 50Hz and the transformer is still OK well then I can put the transformer on gumtree/ebay and get some of the money back for the experiment. But maybe the experiment will kill the transformer too.

There seems to be two clear camps of thought. Those that think it will kill the router and those that think it would be fine.
If you supply it with 110V, that, in itself, will obviously be fine. The only possible issue is that of the 50/60Hz difference. Whilst the cautions about this which have been expressed are theoretically sound, I would think that, in practice, the chance of there being a problem is very small, particularly given that use of the router will presumably be very much intermittent, not continuous for any extended periods of time.
If I called the manufacturer I will likely get some tech support person who has never been asked the question before, and if they are in doubt about anything they will just answer "no". At least that is my presumption.
That might well happen but, for the sake of the cost of a phone call, you might try - and might even be surprised by the answer. I very much doubt that it would be the first time they'd been asked the question.
If I don't try the router then it is a paperweight. Can't use it in the UK, can't sell it in the UK, not economical to take it back to the US. So it may as well be broken. I figured if I kill it with 50Hz and the transformer is still OK well then I can put the transformer on gumtree/ebay and get some of the money back for the experiment. But maybe the experiment will kill the transformer too.
That all sounds very sensible. Provided the transformer is adequately rated, it's exceedingly unlikely that you would kill it, even if you killed the router.

Kind Regards, John

OK, I will contact Ridgid.

Interestingly 110V/50Hz is the power supply used in Barbados. I wonder if they have problems obtaining routers?

Andy

OK, I will contact Ridgid. Interestingly 110V/50Hz is the power supply used in Barbados. I wonder if they have problems obtaining routers?
It would not be just routers, but I obviously don't know the answer to that question. However, that is perhaps an indication of the fact that US manufacturers of 110V equipment may well be quite used to being asked the question. For many/most items of electrical equipment, the 50/60 Hz difference is probably not going to be of any great consequence - it's mainly when motors are involved that there is a potential issue.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back