Electrical Mains Supply to Adjacent Properties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the front of the bungalow that I purchased a few years ago there is a high pole which is the source of electrical supply to a number of properties in the road.
Three power cables run to several adjacent houses and are of no problem to me. However the supply to my bungalow and two other adjacent properties is via a cable that runs down the side and then across the back of my bungalow and further on to the other two bungalows.
Now that I wish to extend my bungalow at the back, utilising a flat roof, I am told this cable will have to be moved from its current position just under the eaves.
My current supply contract is with E-ON but I am not sure whether they would be considered responsible or whether I need to contact any other organisation.
Will I be liable for the costs incurred in moving this cable ?
As a matter of interest, who 'owns' the pole that has been installed on my land and am I due any 'rental' charges because of the position it occupies ? :?:

Sponsored Links
Your DNO own the cables, poles etc (you can look up which, or wait for Westie to tell you ;) ).

You are not due any rent.

Don't know if you'd have to pay - probably would be my guess, but it's only a guess.

You need to find out for sure, and find out how much it will cost before doing anything else about the extension - you may not have enough money left.

[EDIT]Spleling misteak corretced[/EDIT]

Sponsored Links
It is not Eon that you need.

Oddly enough at one time it would have been, well the distribution arm of them anyway... the old east midlands electricity board was looked after by Eon up until a few years back, however this region is now under western power (even though its in the east :LOL: )

Don't know what area the old EMEB covered, but much of the East Midlands (and all of Nottinghamshire) is to the west of the Greenwich Meridian.

;)

Don't know what area the old EMEB covered, but much of the East Midlands (and all of Nottinghamshire) is to the west of the Greenwich Meridian.
It seems that the EMEB area did not correspond precisely with "the East Midlands". The Wikipedia says that the "East Midlands" is .. "one of nine official regions of England, is the eastern part of the Midlands, encompassing Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Northamptonshire and most of Lincolnshire.". We are in the NW corner of Buckinghamshire, but were in the EMEB area.

I'm not sure that the Greenwich Meridian is very relevant. Not only is most of the "East Midlands" to the west of it but so, in fact, is the great majority of the UK:
200px-East_Midlands_in_England.svg.png

Kind Regards, John

I'm all for pedantry and semantics but ...

That's not the extent of the Western Power area.
Presumably they started in the west and then included other areas or perhaps they chose the name because they are not oriental.

It's a good job our DNO chose to add 'and Southern' to their name.

Are the people of North Wales and Merseyside confused about where they live?

I'm all for pedantry and semantics but ... That's not the extent of the Western Power area.
It's not meant to be!! - that was the politically-defined "East Midlands" region, per the Wikipedia definition.
Presumably they started in the west and then included other areas or perhaps they chose the name because they are not oriental.
The WPD area is obviously much bigger than the "East Midlands", although it looks as if it encompasses most, if not all, of the "East Midlands". As you say, they probably started 'in the west' and then gradually encroached eastwards, without bothering to change their name. Per BAS's comments, all, or nearly all, of it is west of the Greenwich Meridian - but, as I said, so is the great majority of the UK!:
AreaMap.aspx

Kind Regards, John

Someone missed out Warwickshire in the EME list.

Otherwise Western Power is so named because of the part of the origin country they originally served. They're not a UK native company, nor named because they took over a Western DNO area first.

To the OP, fill out a form on the WPD website and send it off, stating what you want. If there's nothing suitably named "Form for Moving a Supply off a Wall" then go for altered/increased power supply or whatever you can find as a nearest match.

This will get a ticket going, and an engineer should be in touch.

Someone missed out Warwickshire in the EME list.
As I said, the old EMEB region covered areas which were not in the official "East Midlands" region. I believe that most, if not all, of Warwickshire is in the West Midlands region.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back