Domestic Electric Supply Cable question....

But ATEOD, it's their cable and their service - if they won't run it in the cavity, then they won't run it in the cavity, and that's it, no matter how unreasonable you, or anybody else here, thinks that is.

OK, back to the original question in a more simple form.

Domestic electrical work is covered by Part P. It's Black & White.

Is this type of work covered by a similar set of written regulations that DNO's follow?

Sponsored Links
They are now saying that they don't like the idea of the duct going into the void because it can't be seen.
You're right, that's not a real reason. If mechanical protection is their real reason the only other thing I can think of is if it you discuss the adoption of some form of protection to reasonably prevent the cable ever being drilled by cable installers/wall tie fitters.

Steel plate on the walls under the plaster, and clear, engraved labelling on the exterior wall, might be one way of looking at it.

Still, it's an unnecessary risk for you, personally I'd dig the garden.

Is this type of work covered by a similar set of written regulations that DNO's follow

The Electricity Act 1989 and The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 (which forms part of it)
How the DNOs comply with these is in the main up to each DNO, though some guidence is given in documents from the Energy Networks Association. (though I can't find one for this scenario)

There is no equivalent to BS7671, as B-A-S posted the cable belongs to the DNO and it is their choice how it is installed.
(Part P only says that it must be safe without saying how! Though BS7671 is one way of acieving safety. The Act covering the DNOs is the same, it does not specify how safety should be achieved)

It also concerns me that the service goes from a pole to a bungalow, it is likely that this will not comply with the overhead line clearences required by ESQCR, in which case it must be undergrounded (though this may give you a negotiating position regarding the costs)

Sponsored Links
Is this type of work covered by a similar set of written regulations that DNO's follow

The Electricity Act 1989 and The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 (which forms part of it)
How the DNOs comply with these is in the main up to each DNO, though some guidence is given in documents from the Energy Networks Association. (though I can't find one for this scenario)

There is no equivalent to BS7671, as B-A-S posted the cable belongs to the DNO and it is their choice how it is installed.
(Part P only says that it must be safe without saying how! Though BS7671 is one way of acieving safety. The Act covering the DNOs is the same, it does not specify how safety should be achieved)

It also concerns me that the service goes from a pole to a bungalow, it is likely that this will not comply with the overhead line clearences required by ESQCR, in which case it must be undergrounded (though this may give you a negotiating position regarding the costs)

Now, this is a more useful reply. Thanks Westie.

I'm interested in the point about overhead clearance and will investigate further. Any more information on this would be appreciated.

See, I like dealing with tradesmen and contractors with whom you can have an intelligent conversation, but these guys just seem to have no sense of reality.

As I said earlier, if they can give me a black & white answer, fair enough, but it's been 3 days now and still no call back that they promised with the answers. I might actually be jumping the gun, there's still a chance they'll do it.

I'm off to see what I can learn about overhead cable height, although most in my road are similar to mine.

Has the DNO's surveyor visited the site or is all this based on e-mail and telephone calls between you and the DNO ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back