Meter Box install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have met with edf energy and they have given me the specifications they want to install our new electricity supply

i have not ever installed a meter box before so its all new to me

its going to be outside and they say the hockey stick (ducting) needs to meet the soil and be roughly 450mm from the surface (to paint a better picture the box will be below pavement level and outside on a wall)

i have done the ducting and made the hole for it to meet the soil and be 450mm (roughly) to the pavement above, they have also said for it to be roughly 1200mm high to the center of the surface meter box.

the fella only told me to get a hockey stick and cut it to fit but heres the problem the 450mm from the pipe is far to much higher than the box itself and you cant bend a hockey stick

can you make the ducting go into the top of the box or will that stop it being water proof ?

am i allowed to make my own holes to allow the ducting in the box ?

where does the ducting have to enter the meter box as there is two holes already one in the back and one in the bottom ?

thank you all in advance
Electric Man

Sponsored Links
its a standard box only sold by jewsons ?

i thought a few of you might have put the box in for the electric companies (not wire it of course as you cant touch that) but i met with the fella he told me the height and specifications but i dont want to cut this box to fit the ducting pipe to have them come round and say its wrong that will be another 1000 quid :(

Not sure if I get your post. The hockey stick is too long and you cant bend it to fit in the box?

Entry would normally be via the bottom, cut the hockey stick to length. If you have to redo it its only the cost of the hockey stick. How about some pictures.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replys

i cant take a picture as i just got this message might be able to take some snaps tomoz ?

here is a picture i have made for you please dont laugh lol i tried to be as precise as possible..

my problem is that where my ducting is coming in from the street its higher than where the meterbox will sit and as you said it goes into the bottom ... how will this be possible using a hockey stick ?

how do i add a picture please

Its right in front of you above this box if you hold the mouse over the Img* button above. You need to have the image on the web somewhere first.

problem.JPG

hope this looks ok

breezer said:
ask edf, its their box

Definitely, especially as the box will be below ground level. You cant use a hockey stick in the scenario you are describing. The hockey stick is for an above ground (or above the height of the incomer) installation. You may get all sorts of damp ingress into your box if the box is lower than the incomer, without the proper drip loops etc.

Over to you EDF

thanks i am going to phone them tomorrow as i have been busy on another job and this is not untl the 23rd of this month

thanks again for the input but i geuss your right edf will have to tell me exactly how to do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back