Meter boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Putting in a sub main for which the DNO are going to connect up to the supply.

First one for me.
Got the ducting in place, Hockey stick going into the meter box.

Pre cut Holes in meter box to big for ducting (32mm polyduct).

Where will I get suitable glands to make this water proof.
The other cut out is to big for 25mm SWA.

Any advice/ links to the correct product would be great, thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Westie
I thought that may be the case, but it surprises me a little. You could get plants getting up in there, wasps nests all sorts.

So it will not be a problem for me to drill a hole for my SWA, and leave the the hole blanked off?

Are you taking SWA into the same cabinet as the meter etc? That's not right. Most DNO's and meter operaters will kick up stink if you take up their space. You need to have a cabinet of your own next to theirs and pass tails from one to the next, or put your SWA and isolator inside the building, behind the cabinet. You are not expecting the DNO / meter operator to connect your SWA to their kit are you?

I would only use the knockouts that are already on the meter box, drilling elsewhere weakens them (knockouts are reinforced). It will end up cracking.

Sponsored Links
Definately put your SWA into a separate box. Leave the meter box for the DNO equipment.

You should consider having your own fuse protecting the sub main SWA rated lower than the DNO supply fuse to avoid having to involve the DNO should the SWA fail and take out the DNO's supply fuse.

Many thanks for the replies

Re sharing the meter cupboard.

The customer has had to pay for the meter cupboard, so I think they own it.
So, in my opinion should be allowed to put a switched fuse in there.
I plan to run the SWA to the Switch fuse and normal tails to be used to connect to meter.
If the DNO are so fussy about sharing space they should install their own cupboard.

I have been disappointed with the attitude of the DNO who have made my customer spend quite a lot of money for works I think they are responsible for. Plus the time scales they work to are only ones that monopolies can work by. Ridiculous wait even to see someone.

Contained within this document

http://www.northernpowergrid.com/som_download.cfm?t=media:documentmedia&i=1122&p=file

is this paragraph

All space within the cabinet is reserved for use by the Distribution Company and the Supplier. The meter tails must enter the cabinet at the correct position; this will be through the knockouts provided at the right hand side and the bot-tom right hand corner. Under no circumstances should any cabinet or backboard be altered, modified, drilled or damaged; if this occurs the service will not be connected and the cabinet will have to be replaced. Basic diagrams & sample pictures have been provided at the back of this booklet.

So I would suggest they may refuse to do the work if there is a switch-fuse in there!

Thanks Westie
I am actually dealing with UKPN in London.

I have the drawing from the surveyor
On his sketch he has the meter box with the supply going into the left hand cut out (As you look at the box)
(He also has included a switch fuse in the same box!!)

I notice on the drawing inside the box the supply cable is also going into the left, as you look at it.

I was hoping that the supply cable could go into the right knock out otherwise this would be a pain as the cable feeding the property would have to cross the supply cable.

But obviously I want to do the right thing and have no problems when they show up
So if I have to use a separate box, what's the best way to get the tails from the meter cupboard to the switch fuse in another cupboard.
I presume everything has to exit the boxes at the bottom.
? Thanks

Generally the cut-out and meter go on the left to avoid crossing the tails in front of them and possibly blocking access.
This is because the meter input connections are on the left and a lot of the DNOs use a solid connector block between the two for theft prevention.

I would suggest that you contact UKPN yourself (customer will have a contact number) and see what they say

Ah
http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...d-82fc-7f1dda4a7adG/YOUR_RESPONSIBILITIES.pdf

Looks like they are happy with your idea but you must leave enough space for a cut-out & meter so fit it well to the right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back