Outdoor underground cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a few question out of interest please.
I have a detached garage about 10 metres from the house. There is an electric supply which is beneath the ground and I remember that there was a duct in place for this purpose as the house/garage was being built.
I was never entirely happy that the cable came out of the ground and through the wall of the garage, looked a bit scruffy. My nose got the better of me and I decided to see if the finish of the duct was anywhere near as I would have prefered it to have come up through the garage floor, as it does in the main house. I was surprised to see that the cable is only about 4 inches under the ground and leads to the end of the duct about 2metres away, the end of the duct is only about 8 inches under ground.
I have no idea how far underground it is actually buried on route to the house.
Q1 Is this something that should be of concern?
I will be getting an electrician in as I need an electric supply to my log cabin which is very close to the end of the duct and was hoping that once I had found this he would be able to create a junction at that point for the cabin supply; I don't know if that's doable.
Q2 Given that the cable is only about 8 inches below the surface is an electrician liable not to engage in this work?

Attachments

• IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
That looks like armoured cable. That’s a good thing in that it is suitable for ground burial.
Where is it routed? It isn’t buried deep enough, if it is under lawn or flower beds etc.
Impossible to tell for sure without being on site. You’ll need your electrician to tell you. Sorry.

That's no problem.
It is armoured cable for sure and the ducting runs to the house, judging by the position of where the duct finishes the direct line to the house goes under lawn/gravel driveway. The bit that can be seen in the pics is the end of the duct by the garage and the cable going to the garage which is very close to the surface as mentioned. I will of course take advice from the spark but I was just interested to see what others thought.
Thanks for you reply though.

Sponsored Links
It seems the installer didn't have enough duct, nor a 'deep enough shovel' so just put the cable in anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back