Cable type & rating - outdoor lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an existing outdoor plug socket at the top of my drive supplied by approx 10 metres of 2.5 twin and earth from the garage. I want to connect a bulkhead type light at either end of the drive, which is 31 metres long, with the minimum of fuss.

I was planning on running a cable along the underside of one of the rails of the existing field fence that runs the length of the drive, and plugging it directly into the outdoor socket, which is connected to a timer in the garage (only used for Christmas lights) - what type and rating cable should I use? Total cable length would be roughly 34 metres.

Alternatively, there is an existing 50mm ducting that runs underground along the length of the fence and goes directly into the garage, but utilizing this would create a lot more work - what type of cable can I run through the ducting? The cable length from the garage to the bottom of the drive, plus a couple of journeys to each of the two lights would be roughly 45 metres - can I get away with using twin & earth if it runs directly from the ducting through conduit to the lights?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back