Wiring outside light advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just purchase an outside light (50 watt led) I wish to fix to the wall approx 3 metres above an existing outside double socket, my question is..can I run the cable direct down the wall, into one of the top entry points into the socket, the light currently has a plug on the end, I wish to remove the current cable as its ony a short length & add a decent length of new outdoor stuff and run it straight into the box (which is the remote control type of socket), can I then simply wire it in via this way, is this a safe install?

Sponsored Links
I would also question the use of a 50W LED. To prevent light pollution the building regulations limit you to 150W without planning permission, but that was set in the days of tungsten lamps. With a tungsten halogen lamp that is around 2400 lumen so the equivalent LED would be 24W so with a 50W your about double what is considered as reasonable without planning permission.

I am sure many people have used 300W or 500W tungsten halogen lamps and got away with it, however it only needs one neighbour to complain, if you really need that much light it would be better to split it into two lamps as it seems there is no limit to how many just on how big.

To prevent light pollution the building regulations limit you to 150W without planning permission, but that was set in the days of tungsten lamps. With a tungsten halogen lamp that is around 2400 lumen so the equivalent LED would be 24W so with a 50W your about double what is considered as reasonable without planning permission
Surely (upsetting neighbours notwithstanding) from a planning point of view, until they update the rules, there's nothing they could say about a 50W led?

Sponsored Links
Quite, is the limit not purely concerned with power usage?

You can have light pollution with a lot less than 500W tungsten.

I was trying to point out how big the unit is. Although to be fair I have a metal halide lamp of 70W. May be that's one of the reasons for comment, it has sat in my loft for years, in real terms it is just too big.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back