Underground data cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am about to lay cables from the house to the garage, office and workshop, for power and data.
My sparky has said I can lay 6mm2 SWA straight into the 450mm deep trench, however I am after advice on the data.
The method I choose should be capable of taking further additions by pulling the drawcord
I have acquired a large role of CAT6 FTP cable, so would rather not have to buy more.
The intended route of power and data is across the loft space, through the eves, down the outside of the wall of the bungalow into the trench. From there, the trench will follow at 45 degrees, under a path to the garage 10m away. From there, the trench will turn 135 degrees, continue on, “tee”ing off to the office before terminating at the shed.
The garage and shed need only one run of data, whereas the office will have four.
I have found a product from pipes-underground.com, that comes in various diameters and colours from 32mm. They also supply a “Duct Box” / Access Chamber that I intend to use at the 135 degree turn
My questions are:
1. Is this the right stuff to use underground?
2. Should I run the SWA in the ducting, or lay separately in the same trench?
3. Do I need to worry about using the correct colour-coded pipe?
4. What conduit should I use down the wall?
5. How should I connect the external wall conduit to the underground ducting?

Any advice will be gratefully received.
Many thanks

W.

Sponsored Links
Twin wall duct will be fine. Ideally ought to be green for your cabling but doesn't really matter in the real world.

You should really use duct grade cat6 but normal stuff should be ok for a few years.

SWA direct in the ground is fine unless you think you might need a bigger supply in the future. Putting in a second duct for the mains won't take much more effort and will save digging the garden again in future.

You could use standard conduit or waste pipe up the wall depending how many cables you have.

do you really need "four runs of data" to an office, surely one with a network switch would be sufficient although I would run a spare through the ducting as it went in, also do you need any phone cables

ps do you really mean that the trench will turn through 135 degreees(ie start coming back)

Sponsored Links
I'd chuck in a good few cables. You don't need to just use it for computer network. It might also be handy for CCTV, HDTV, alarm network, telephone, etc etc.

I'd chuck in a good few cables. You don't need to just use it for computer network. It might also be handy for CCTV, HDTV, alarm network, telephone, etc etc.

Hi,

Yes, apart from specifically data, I think four runs is on the lean side, for my setup. The layer 3 router (with the VLAN information) is in the house. The layer 2 device, (switch) will be in the office.

I've gone for this FlexTwin Ducting ,some access boxes and couplers 40mm/50mm (ID/OD). I'm hoping the couplers will fit around some white 50mm Miniflo guttering downpipe to use as conduit up the wall, through the soffit, into the loft space. If not, I have found some strong "Polypipe" EFFAST PVC pipe, that should work..

The idea of the access boxes and draw cord is that I can always pull through more cables as needed, with relative ease. (I hope).

Thanks for your help and suggestions on this.

W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back