Cable routing for outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently building a garage in the back. We've just dug out the trenches and I am making considerations for cabling and wiring.

How do you electricians like the SWA routed ? I know it's got to be 600mm deep. I am thinking of running some steel conduit through the trench (before the concrete pour) so that cables can be routed directly from underground straight up through the slab into the building.

The alternative is to finish the entire build, and just drill a hole through the wall, and slap a junction fixture over it.

Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Plastic pipes is what I have used, normally well over size, but make sure there is a draw string and the corners if any are not sharp,
Maximum 90°C. Minimum bending 0°C
Minimum bending radius:
1.5 sq.mm – 16 sq.mm – 6 x overall diameter (circular cond.)
25 sq.mm and above – 8 x overall diameter (shaped cond.)
So 6mm is 10.7 mm thick so bending radius is 64.2 mm which is larger than most drain pipes so tend to select a pipe which is really a bit on the large size for cables which go in it. Radius taken from Batt Cables web site.

Use proper twin-wall electrical duct. Black. This sort of stuff.

cable-ducting-twin-wall-black-per-metre-75mm-876.jpg

However....
How do you electricians like the SWA routed ? I know it's got to be 600mm deep.
You must, must, must sort this out with your electrician - she has to make these design decisions.

When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say, or what did you by default allow them to assume, would be the way you would ensure compliance with part P? Because if you told them one thing and then you do another, you could end up with problems.​

Sponsored Links
Echo b-a-s' comment. There are lots of things to consider when cabling to an outbuilding. You need to get hold of your electrician, tell him/her what you are wanting and then abide by their instructions regarding size and type of cable, depth of trench, method of cover. Most will be very happy that you're going to dig the trench, def put in the twinwall ducting and put a 2nd run in for data cabling and anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back