Main supply and earthing conductor

The customer has requested a 3ph supply himself and he got the DNO in too early to fit the cut out hence why it is fixed to a wall in the garden! I know it's a stupid place but that is where it is now.
It is a PME supply.
Yes it is a 3ph consumer unit.
Thanks to the guys that have given constructive advice. I have now asked the builder to install a rigid duct so I can install my 4c35 and 25mm Earth conductor.

Sponsored Links
Hang on, will your SWA be temporary?

Is the cut out gong to be put in a better place?

Clearly this cut out was just a temporary-ish supply?

And how would you terminate SWA to the cut out/meter end, assuming a permanent connection?

And how would you terminate SWA to the cut out/meter end, assuming a permanent connection?
Presumably it will be terminated to a 3P+N switchfuse. And while it might have been nice to have the meter location moved nearer the house, realistically with what the DNO's charge these days, that may well end up costing more than running the 35 sq. mm SWA with all its accompanying fittings.

Sponsored Links
One would have to find a suitable 3P+N 'switchfuse' or whatever suitable to fit.

And what sort of wall is this meter box fitted to?

And is the meter box in a reasonable location for meter reading etc?

All a bit of cock up by all accounts, though I understand your wish to get it working and forget about it!

yes it is a cock up! It is a case of the building company is doing the job but I am yet to see the builder gaffer, and the customer is project managing the job himself and getting everything done in the wrong order hence the meter cabinet on a garden wall. I wanted the DNO to install the main fuse and meter on the house but obviously will not unless the customer pays again. The DNO have brought there supply into an external cabinet. I am fitting another white surface mount cabinet alongside it with a 80A 3ph switch fuse inside. I am intending on runing SWA from the DNOS cabinet out and into my cabinet glanded into the switch fuse then a SWA back out and through the trench into the consumer unit.

I am intending on runing SWA from the DNOS cabinet out and into my cabinet glanded into the switch fuse then a SWA back out and through the trench into the consumer unit.
What are you going to do with the end of the SWA in the DNO cabinet?

Planning on glanding the SWA into an adaptable box and bringing the tails out and heat shrinking them before they are terminated? Advice?

I am intending on runing SWA from the DNOS cabinet out and into my cabinet glanded into the switch fuse then a SWA back out and through the trench into the consumer unit.
Might it not be easier to link the cabinets with some suitably sized conduit and just use appropriate singles for that section?

I did think about that but I thought the DNO may have something to say about me drilling a hole in the side of there cabinet??

I have also had SWA cable underneath a concrete road loose the earth connection and had to turn the supply into TT as there was no way the road was coming up. So I would also due to experience use 5 core cable.

Planning on glanding the SWA into an adaptable box and bringing the tails out and heat shrinking them before they are terminated? Advice?
I'm confused.

Why would a real electrician need to ask questions like these on a DY advice forum?

Are you an electrician?

Yes I am.

No, you aren't.

You may have a piece of paper which says that you have an electrical qualification. You may well think that it means you are an electrician.

But you are not, and the sooner you realise that the sooner you can get on with acquiring some genuine, full-depth competence so that you do become one.

the customer is project managing the job himself
Be honest to yourself, in your private moments, if not to anybody else.

How do you think your customer would feel if he knew that his electrician was having to ask advice on a DIY forum on how to do his job?

You may have a piece of paper which says that you have an electrical qualification. You may well think that it means you are an electrician.

But you are not, and the sooner you realise that the sooner you can get on with acquiring some genuine, full-depth competence so that you do become one.

I wish i was as incredible as ban all sheds and knew absolutely everything the day I passed my exams! I was always under the impression that you are always learning! WAN**R

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back