earthing SWA glands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i would like to make sure i understand this properly.

On a TNS supply, using 3 core SWA to run a sub-main, and using the third core for CPC, where the SWA gland terminates into a plastic enclosure, how is it best to earth the armour?

Am i right that you run a fly lead (the same size CSA as the live conductors) from the banjo/piranha nut, back to the MET?

Or do you run a bonding conductor from the banjo/piranha nut, to the earth terminal inside the enclosure the gland is terminating into?

Or can you do either

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will need to use a banjo sandwiched between two locknuts if terminating into a plastic enclosure so that the plastic creeping won't affect your connection.

I'm not sure why you refer to a "bonding conductor" as we are discussing earthing which is a completely separate thing.

As for the csa of the flylead you will have to work that out.

Sponsored Links
Or use a piranha nut?
You could, but I see no reason not to use proprietary SWA glands without purchasing an unnecessary new type.
I can't actually recall ever have seen a 'proprietary swa gland# which came with a spare nut, so one would have to purchase that, anyway (unless one already had one). The other advantage of piranha's on plastic boxes is that, by gripping onto the box with its teeth, they reduce the risk of the whole gland coming lose (relative to the box), which might possibly have a detrimental effect on the termination of the armour.

Kind Regards, John

WHy plastic enclosure? Amd 3 is only days away, shouldn't you would be installing a metal enclosure?

The other advantage of piranha's on plastic boxes is that, by gripping onto the box with its teeth, they reduce the risk of the whole gland coming lose (relative to the box), which might possibly have a detrimental effect on the termination of the armour.

Kind Regards, John

As you may be aware, the main purpose of the teethed side is to allow easy tightening of the gland from outside without the need for gripping the locknut,the other plain side is for use when tightening of the locknut is prefered.
Though what you say is a bonus.

They should come supplied with a grub screw for use with plastic boxes, to ensure they dont work loose and maintain tightness even in the event of the plastic breaking away

The other advantage of piranha's on plastic boxes is that, by gripping onto the box with its teeth, they reduce the risk of the whole gland coming lose (relative to the box), which might possibly have a detrimental effect on the termination of the armour.
As you may be aware, the main purpose of the teethed side is to allow easy tightening of the gland from outside without the need for gripping the locknut,the other plain side is for use when tightening of the locknut is prefered.
Indeed so - that is the 'main purpose'.
Though what you say is a bonus.
Exactly - and that was my point.
They should come supplied with a grub screw for use with plastic boxes, to ensure they dont work loose and maintain tightness even in the event of the plastic breaking away
Indeed. In fact, I think I've nearly always seen the grub screw used (and tightened) on metal boxes, as well as plastic ones. Since it's there, that seems sensible, and it's certainly what I do.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back