Swa earthing/termination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my shed connected to house by3 x 2.5 mm swa in to a 13amp fcu in house which is rcd protected at the cu. This terminates in shed to another 13 amp fcu which supplies a twin socket, and then a 3 amp fused connection unit for light ( all latter switches and boxes metal).

My only mistake is I have not earthed armour as local spark told me it wasn't needed. I have studied other posts and pics, which are v. useful.

However, I cant see a solution to my problem. I have cut armour as swa enters house, with 3core continuing in insulator to fcu in house. What box should I use to earth swa with gland on outside wall? Could I use a IP 66 junction box, terminating swa with gland/banjo or piranha nut, then 2.5mm twn & earth going through hole to fcu in house? More preferable, is there another type of box which could go on outside on house to earth armour, but leaving existing 3 core and sheath heading through wall to fcu. I know both methods will require earth conductor going from banjo/nut but what size of earth conductor, and would I connect to earth in load of fcu or elsewhere?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not really sure its right to have the cores from the SWA passing through the wall only surrounded by the bedding (I'm not sure the bedding counts as a sheath as such)

Putting that issue aside, galv conduit trouser box, one CW20S, two stuffing glands (if you one that will go small enough for something like 4/6mm earth), one lid and a gasket

How have you connected the other end of the SWA to the metalclad fcu in the shed? Have you glanded it with a banjo bolted onto the box? If so, you don't need to earth the other end necessarily.

Thanks for your speedy replies. Sounds quite tricky.

At the shed, I have done the same - just cut the armour a bit short then run the 3 core and sheath into a 6 cm bit of plastic conduit to the fcu.

Other posts have mentioned earthing at supply end but it would be easier for me to wire shed end. I could lower fcu in shed to armour level to do gland etc if you guys think that is ok.

That means I would connect with banjo/ pirannah nut, then connect earth lead to earth terminal in supply in fcu?

Sponsored Links
Yes, as long as the fcu is earthed between the terminal and the frontplate, you can use the fcu for the earth connection. You can use a banjo and bolt, or Orbix screw, or a pirhana nut.

What kind of earthing system do you have at the supply?

TN-C-S.

Please say if this changes things. Want to get this right, even if it means paying the pros to do it for me.

Thanks again

There is only an issue if you have any structural metal, or water or gas pipes etc in the shed. Or a concrete base could be an issue.

It's all to do with exporting the earth from a TNCS system. You either insulate the earth and use a rod instead, or run a larger earth cable (usually 10mm) in order to be able to bond the shed to the MET.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back