Feeding SWA through garage floor raft foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be pouring the foundation for my new garage when, and if, the weather improves. Before I do it, though, I need to provide a way of getting the SWA cable from the house into the garage. The cable will run 2mtrs in a trench from the house and then through the slab.
What sort of trunking/conduit will I need to install for it to pass through the concrete?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Use some 38/40mm waste pipe - plenty of room to slide the SWA through then - or similar sized flexible conduit if you have any bends to cope with. Put the pipe in and put some rope through it as well to use later to draw the SWA hrough with.

40mm seems a bit on the small side, you could end up with some quite tight bends and might struggle to get anything bigger than 6mmsq SWA through. I'd suggest 110mm brown soil pipe.

Do NOT use a 90 degree corner where the duct comes through the slab.

A nice long bend, or two 45 degree bends with a shorth peice of pipe would be far better.

You will not be physically able to pull the cable round a sharp 90 degree bend.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your prompt replies.

Good point about the draw string! It's the sort of thing an old fart like me would forget.

Dave

Use Wavin ducting.

Put some in for a water pipe years ago. 50mm dia, concertina form so goes around bends, Had a laugh getting 35m into the back of the car.

Builders merchants will sell it by the metre.

smooth bends are the only way unless you want to dig up your garage floor again, I've had huge problems when attempting to get cables trough ducts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back