Planning for cable to shed outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start building my new house. The consumer unit will be in the attached garage and there will eventually be a separate outbuilding which will require some power (probably just a light and a single socket).

The foundations and the walls of the garage will be made from poured concrete so I want to get the holes in the right places before we pour.

Much of the stuff that I have read shows the cable from the outbuilding coming up the outside wall to a place above the DPC and then going through the wall to the inside of the house. Given that I am in a new-build position is there any reason why I can't install a hockey stick and ducting as part of the foundations so that the SWA will be able to come up the inside of the garage wall (so keeping the outside wall neater)? The DPM under the garage floor can be taped round the hockey stick so that the DPM is not compromised.

Any thoughts?

PS I am not going anywhere near trying to fit SWA - that will be for an electrician to do. I will, however, be pouring the concrete!

Sponsored Links
Sounds reasonable.
Just make sure to put a rope in the ducting to pull the cable through with later on.

Rope meaning a substantial polypropylene rope, not as I found on one job - a length of green garden string :rolleyes:

Fortunately was able to pull a nylon draw tape in using the string. Duct was only a few metres long.

Sponsored Links
Don't use a 90 degree bend as it will be hard to pull the SWA round it - use 2 x 45's instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back