Power and Data in same conduit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electrician running power using 10mm two core SWA to my shed some 50m distance from my house, and wondered whether it is permissible to run a Cat5 data cable in the same conduit?
Cheers
Ed

Sponsored Links
You need to ask your electrician, as it's his professional opinion which counts, not ours.

SWA in this application would usually be buried directly in the ground, not run through conduit.

Paul -apologies for not clarifiying - the swa will be in a conduit buried to whatever is the required depth.
BaS - I just was enquiring whether there are any reasons why it would not be safe to run the data cable in the same conduit or a separate one.
Apart from possible emi interference I can't see any safety issues, or are their?
Cheers
Ed

Sponsored Links
BAS - If I could reliably get hold of my electrician I would - but he's not answering his phone at present, and I forgot to ask him about the data cabling when he came around to do a survey.

It will be safe but you might get interference (noise) induced into the data cabling, this can be reduced by using screened data cable.
I wouldn't have thought that'd be an issue with SWA.
The SWA armour will obviously help a lot, but I imagine that a fair bit of field will still get past the armour if/when the cable is carrying high current - in theory twisted-pair communications cables should be largely immune to interference from that, but I don't know to what extent.

However, everyone seems to be overlooking what I regard as one of the more daft bit of the regs - namely that 528.2 requires either a 100mm separation between underground power and communication cables OR a fire-retardant partition between them. Strikes me as daft (and a reg I would personally loose no sleep over violating), but that's what the regs say (and not much better for ELV cables other than communication ones - per 528.1)!!!

Kind Regards, John.

holmslaw - I don't trust wi-fi - it can be hacked (I work in IT) - and those homeplugs are as far as I can tell only protected by 56bit DES, so I'd rather minimise risks and go wired :)

However, everyone seems to be overlooking what I regard as one of the more daft bit of the regs - namely that 528.2 requires either a 100mm separation between underground power and communication cables OR a fire-retardant partition between them. Strikes me as daft (and a reg I would personally loose no sleep over violating)

Nor me. There is the long-standing older regulation which required only that when drawn into the same conduit the conductors of the lower-voltage circuit be insulated for the voltage present on the higher-voltage circuit (with the option of a partition in trunking and similar systems as an alternative). Fire-resisting partitions only came into the picture where one of the circuits was actually for a fire alarm.

Don't put the swa in the conduit/duct. Bury it direct in the ground. Run a duct next to it for the network cable, which will ideally be FTP to avoid any interference over that long parallel run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back