Telephone and network cable outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run two phone lines and a network cable about 40 metres from the house to a shed. I have sufficient data (Cat5) and phone cable (both indoor versions) and 20mm conduit. I'm just wondering about the wisdom of using this indoor cable in conduit, as there will be places where the cable will be exposed to the elements, though not to the danger of being cut into by a spade or anything. On the assumption that this would be unwise (I don't want to be doing this all again in a year or two!) I've sourced (but not yet purchased) 5-pair outdoor (jelly-protected, but not armoured) phone cable at a reasonable price at a supplier. Would those out there in the know recommend that I use this for both the phone and data cable run (two lengths, I mean), but still put it inside conduit where it is at risk of any contact.? If so, is it okay to work with - I'm assuming that the cores are going to be immersed in jelly inside the cable? Will it be a nightmare to wire? Also, if I make one of the runs for the two phone lines, and the other for just the network, will there be any danger of "cross-talk" (I don't actually know what that is, but I assume it degrades the signal of both cables), as the two cables are right next to each other inside the conduit? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It should be ok to use normal indoor phone and data cable inside plastic conduit. Though they should be inside the conduit for the entire run between the house and the shed, as UV light degrades normal PVC cable, this is one of the main reasons for using plastic conduit - the impact protection of plastic conduit is minimal. A spade will go straight through it. Use cement, conduit clips and proper junction boxes and couplers and make a neat and tidy conduit run.

trying to use phone cable for ethernet is a very bad idea.

conduit is a good idea as the largest degrading factor for cables outdoors that are not rated for such use is UV.

you can buy outdoor grade CAT5 from some suppliers i belive.

Sponsored Links
CW 1128 cable is designed for being ducted for telephones. You do need to wipe the jelly off the cable with some wipes.

A 5 pair cable will allow you to take 5 phone lines to the shed if you are using master sockets, or 2 if you do it the way you should by connecting terminals 3/4 as well.

As for the ethernet - you need to go for external grade cat5e really.

I would tube them both - but you will find 20mm will be tight.

You may consider also installing a 'hyperway' cable (brandname) instead of the two seperate cables. This contains several sets of 4 pair cat5e, and as you can use cat5e for telephone (but not visa-versa), you could run one cable and use it for network and phone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back