telephone cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to use cat5e network cable as telephone cable?

Currently i have a wired network set up which is about to be replaced with wireless and i require a second phone socket in an upstairs bedroom - if cat5e is suitable it saves me the hassel of running any extra wiring outside.

regards

Sponsored Links
danneh said:

Currently i have a wired network set up which is about to be replaced with wireless and i require a second phone socket in an upstairs bedroom - if cat5e is suitable it saves me the hassel of running any extra wiring outside.

regards

similar stuff. just ignore 4 cores of it

Or even easier, just connect one end to the phone circuit, and use an RJ45 - phone adapter at the other.

However -
danneh said:
Currently i have a wired network set up which is about to be replaced with wireless
Are you sure about this?

Sponsored Links
danneh said:

regards
i'd strongly reccomend avoiding wireless except for mobile clients and possiblly occasional web browsing use. its slow and unreliable at least in my experiance.

btw ethernet only actually uses two pairs so if you wan't you can run phone and ethernet down the same cat5.

crafty1289 said:
ban-all-sheds said:
However -
danneh said:
Currently i have a wired network set up which is about to be replaced with wireless
Are you sure about this?
why wouldn't he be?
Because the drawback of a wired network is running the wires - once they're in it seems strange to take them out to replace them with wireless, which has a number of disadvantages, not the least of which is the cost of the extra equipment. Some others are lower bandwidth, lower security, and possibility of interference stopping it working.

Cheers,

Howard

crafty1289 said:
why wouldn't he be?
Plug and HDRW got there before me. Whilst one might consider wireless as an easier alternative to a proper wired network if nothing was in place, it seems perverse to junk a proper one and move to wireless...

he might have a laptop therefore want wireless rather than have top plug in in each room

i have wired and wireless in my house. wired to 2 desktops and wireless to PDA and laptop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back