Is this right that cat5e cannot be next to power cables

now youve got me, what is solid core?

im only a little familiar with normal cat5e

i was assuming this stp version was just the same but with a protective sheath however im under the impression now that there are two variants?

Sponsored Links
omg, i nearly stopped breathing

And i thought this one was expensive lol
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAT5E-STP-STR...QcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116[/QUOTE]

That is stranded cable, you should be installing solid core cable for fixed wiring.

Why ? What reason?

The twisted pair lays better if multi stranded as well as being less prone to induction than single cored and it is just as easy to terminate. Surely the percieved prob of mains radiated interference is knocked on the head by the twisted pairs they go CW & ACW.( maxwells laws apply here ), shielded pairs anyway ,.
I have found it not to be much of a problem when laying computer room cables . though you are best to have to have spike free mains ( filtered ) as they frequently run along side the cables inder the flooring.. not all installations have the luxury of nice cable tray s and space.

I have only found extreme vigilence needed laying cables in some very expensive / high security , test lab establishments then you have to follow a dedicated wiring plan that has been designed especially for each cable run .

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
So DampSpirit, are you saying I can get away with usin the normal cat5e utp rather than the stp?

Also guys what do you think of this stuff, does it sound promising?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Reliabil...2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14[/QUOTE]

If you are just playing at home and have the cable yes.

Obviously dont run it along the cable going to the garage etc where a person might use an arc welder at the same time your on line that is just a wee bit too close for the arc spikes to not have an effect .

We have a big roxborough plug in filter on a socket close to the incoming mains , each PC ( we have four on line most days ) has its own Belarc UPS , we do not get any probs whatsoever ... all PS are nice dual cored high speed jobbies .

I have my whole bungalow wired for cat 5 as well as running UG. out to the office area some 30 mtrs away . The Wifi is not secure enough and gets affected by the weather /atmospherics so a land line BB in and split up via a router out to via your basic cat 5e is how we ended up doing things

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I don't think he is, unless he's got a ****** big home, as he needs 250m of cable.

k4q - do the people paying you to install their network know that you know nothing about it, and did you warn them of this?

ban all sheds I would never do a job for someone else I am not able to do.

I thought I had mentioned in my initial post that I have some premises for my own work purposes where I am installing this cable.

dampspirit, there are two open rooms on two separate floors where the cable needs wiring in between. also if it helps the network would be used for transferring large chunks of data, running a digital printing machine, and also my cctv shall be hooked to the network

sorry if the reply lacks punctuation as im using a pda at the mo

DampSpirit";p="1007140 said:
omg, i nearly stopped breathing

And i thought this one was expensive lol
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAT5E-STP-STR...QcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116[/QUOTE]

That is stranded cable, you should be installing solid core cable for fixed wiring.

Why ? What reason?

Solid core cable is generally accepted to be more stable that stranded cable for data transmission, stranded was designed primarily for patch cables due to its flexibility. However people are now coming round to the idea that solid core is acceptable for patch cables too.

Secondly, stranded cable is more susceptible to degradation through moisture ingress and I would not want to run long lenghts of cable with the risk of this.

The twisted pair lays better if multi stranded as well

I do not agree with this at all, data cabling is my day job and I find solid core cable far easier to work with.

Surely the percieved prob of mains radiated interference is knocked on the head by the twisted pairs they go CW & ACW.( maxwells laws apply here ), shielded pairs anyway ,.

The twisted pairs are there for cancellation effects from neighbouring pairs, not strong electrical inteference.

I have found it not to be much of a problem when laying computer room cables .

I have just finished a recable of 205 network points, the school was getting throughput as low as 1Mbps from some points back to patch panel. The previous cable had been pulled in by a building company, they had pulled it straight over the top of mains cables and flourecent lighting.

What do you use to check for Crosstalk, Echo, Jitter etc?

not all installations have the luxury of nice cable tray s and space.

Very true, but there are better ways of doing things

I have only found extreme vigilence needed laying cables in some very expensive / high security , test lab establishments then you have to follow a dedicated wiring plan that has been designed especially for each cable run .

We always create a dedicated wiring plan for every job, I cannot understand how you could work otherwise?

DampSpirit";p="1007157 said:
So DampSpirit, are you saying I can get away with usin the normal cat5e utp rather than the stp?

Also guys what do you think of this stuff, does it sound promising?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Reliabil...2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14[/QUOTE]

He is not

Obviously dont run it along the cable going to the garage etc where a person might use an arc welder at the same time your on line that is just a wee bit too close for the arc spikes to not have an effect .

We have a big roxborough plug in filter on a socket close to the incoming mains , each PC ( we have four on line most days ) has its own Belarc UPS , we do not get any probs whatsoever ... all PS are nice dual cored high speed jobbies .

Trying to make sure that the mains is filtered because you have run cable too close to it is working backwards. If you have the opportunity to do a job correctly and run the cables the correct distance apart, take it

I have my whole bungalow wired for cat 5 as well as running UG. out to the office area some 30 mtrs away . The Wifi is not secure enough and gets affected by the weather /atmospherics so a land line BB in and split up via a router out to via your basic cat 5e is how we ended up doing things

I hope you used ducting of some sort, you will have to repull that cable in the future.

ban all sheds I would never do a job for someone else I am not able to do.

I thought I had mentioned in my initial post that I have some premises for my own work purposes where I am installing this cable.

dampspirit, there are two open rooms on two separate floors where the cable needs wiring in between. also if it helps the network would be used for transferring large chunks of data, running a digital printing machine, and also my cctv shall be hooked to the network

sorry if the reply lacks punctuation as im using a pda at the mo

To be honest its up to you, I dont know the size of your business so I cant tell you the demand.

What I can tell you is that professional graphics work is one of the most bandwidth intensive applications out there and if it were me, I would really want a fast reliable network capable of at least 1 GB speed.

I would really consider hiring a data cabling firm to do this job, they should have cable certification tools and be able to give you a certificate detailing maximum acheivable bandwidth on their installation.

P.S What is the longest single length of cable you are going to be running? Are you aware that CAT5e should only be run to a max of 100m? (90 fixed cabling allowing 10m for patch cabling at either end)

Disi you are correct regarding hiring someone but although my situation sounds complex, it really is very straight forward and that is me talking. My issue is just choosing the correct cable and really willing to pay for it. Getting it from floor to the other is not a problem as i was available when the dryline company did their bit on the building at the time hence know exactly where cable is possible to be fished through. If a professional network company was to deal with it, they would end up with this issue anyway.

I do have a friend who I get tips off, i mean it was this friend of mine who made me aware of interference etc and pretty much told me what you have told me so far also, so im assuming what you two i.e. my friend and yourself are telling me must me correct.

Regarding a single longest length, it would be 20m

btw does this stuff seem like the correct stuff?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Reliabil...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Sorry in that case, silly of me not to do so.

Btw a guy from a local company has contacted me saying he has some Shielded cat5e single core cable. He is unsure of the price as he doesnt actually sell it and bought for his own installation use however says he has never needed to use it.

Likewise for approx 200 meters what shall i give him considering he mentioned hes had it for 5 years. Im sure we can use that as a bargaining tool

I'm not sure what he means by single core - generally speaking, cat5e cable used for network purposes is 4 twisted pairs, i.e. 8 cores total. For 200m of 5 year old STP cable I wouldn't want to be paying any more than £50 maximum, ideally £30.

I'm not sure what he means by single core - generally speaking, cat5e cable used for network purposes is 4 twisted pairs, i.e. 8 cores total. For 200m of 5 year old STP cable I wouldn't want to be paying any more than £50 maximum.

I would imagine he means solid core, rather than stranded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back