Is this right that cat5e cannot be next to power cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has told me there would be interference if my cat5e network cable is to be placed near power cables.

The problem is i have no other access other than running the cat5e parallel to the power cables.

Also what would he mean by interference

Sponsored Links
it should be at least 50mm away if running parallel.

Crossing at a right angle is ok.

Inteference from mains is known as cross talk and can cause numerous problems with transmission timings and cause data corruption.

-edit, forget cross talk, im talking carp- tired and time to have a beer!

lol,

is this a situation where almost definately I would have this problem or is it just a possibility?

Problem is in certain places I cant control the distance between the cables, in other parts I can. Furthermore, in some parts the cat5e would be closer to power cables than others

You will more than likely have problems at some stage. I certainly would want to avoid installing CAT5e close to a mains electricity cable run.

Also, Induction can cause damage to computer equipment.

Is multi compartment trunking not an option such as starline from TLC?

Sponsored Links
disi, the issue i have is that i have limited access to get the cable running from downstairs to upstairs. The only decent way is where i have some mains cable and other cable for switch running in the same direction behind the dryline

Could you consider Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) or even fibre for you link from upstairs to down?

to be honest im just about familiar with cat5e, all others are more than confusing for me

I dont know how I could use this STP stuff your on about for my network unless however it is just a cat5e with a protective jacket

If it must be done, is it possible to say - put the CAT5 in a 15mm copper pipe thats earthed?

That should prevent any interference from the mains cables.

Make sure the ends are not sharp, rub them down with a file & then wire wool inside. earth it with either soldered on or clamped earth cable.

At most you may notice network slow down. Ethernet has a lot of error correction so if the first packets are dropped it will retry many times before flagging an error. If you have a mains cable never to it the electromagnetic field can cause transmissions to fail as others have mentioned.

It is also not good practise to have other wires next to mains cables for obvious reasons.

to be honest im just about familiar with cat5e, all others are more than confusing for me

I dont know how I could use this STP stuff your on about for my network unless however it is just a cat5e with a protective jacket

Cat5 STP is as you say, pretty much the same as Cat5e UTP but with a shield around the pairs, you have to ground the shield at one end.

STP is pretty expensive in comparison to UTP but if you only need a short length for a link it might not be too bad.

Disi, to be honest I would need it for the whole building as more or less all routes I need to cover with the cat5e would somehow come across some mains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back