Can i repair CAT5 cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just managed to drill through my Cat5 cable adn to save me doing the 20m run again is there a way i can repair this? It looks like 12 cables in all (2x6)

any help would be great

Sponsored Links
It may help that the data is transmitted over the 2 pairs only, w/b+ b/w and w/o + o/w

Cat 5 should be joined, but for a domestic installation over a 20m distance it should be fine.

Krone termination / joint boxes (BT81A 4 pair) will do, or if your ok with soldiering iron and sleeve that's a better and more correct jointing method.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can repair it.

You can either do it the choc block way or better would be to solder & insulate each wire.
(disconnect both ends first).

I doubt that you will notice any difference once its reconnected.

Yes you can repair it.

You can either do it the choc block way

Seen it done, no idea if it worked... but I can imagine that the cable would have aquired some unusual high frequency characteristics :LOL:

You try and buy a PC these days without a gigabit network port.

Do you need Gb for router & printer connections? No.

Do you need it if you have a fileserver, or network backup device, or any general LAN between multiple systems? You can sure as hell use it.

Do you need it to distribute video signals? Yes.

Will it become more or less useful as time goes by? More.

Should you install an infrastructure deliberately limited to 100Mb? No.

:LOL: How many homes run 100B T4 or 1000B T

You may well :LOL:, but the answer is probably more than you think, and increasing all the time.

As BAS implies, there's no point getting stuck in the past, for want of a little forthought.

Personally I would use solder and heatshrink. there will be some discontinuity from the untwisting you will have to do but I would expect it to be better than two plugs in a coupler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back