Cat5e Home Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just bought a new house, and the electrican has just installed all the cabling for the re-wire and is waiting for the platerers to complete before he finishes up with the face plates and new CU.

The Plasterer starts in about a week and I intend to install Cat5e through out the house before then. It's an old victorian semi and the rooms and walls that will be used for the Cat5e hsve suspended floors and solid walls on both the gound and first floors.

The cables for the ground floor will be chased down a solid wall, distributed under the floorboards and passed up, under the skirtingboards and chased up solid walls to the wall plates.

For the first floor the cables will need to cross joists before being again passed under floorboards and chased up the walls to the wall plates.

I hope someone can answer a few questions I forgot to ask my electrician:

1) Do Cat5e cables need to be placed in conduit for the chases like mains power cables?

2) When drilling through the joists (9") I understand this has to be through the middle, and a smaller hole than 25mm (which it will be as it's only a few cat5e. but I read somewhere these have to be drilled perfectly horizontal? Is this true, especially if the hole is only 10mm? or is nearly horizontal ok?

3) How far from the new mains holes in the joists can I place the Cat5e holes?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
In response to your questions:

1) Do Cat5e cables need to be placed in conduit for the chases like mains power cables?
Not necessary. In fact, mains cables do not need to be in conduit if they are installed in safe zones (seeWIKI)

2) When drilling through the joists (9") I understand this has to be through the middle, and a smaller hole than 25mm (which it will be as it's only a few cat5e. but I read somewhere these have to be drilled perfectly horizontal? Is this true, especially if the hole is only 10mm? or is nearly horizontal ok?
The holes don't need to be horizontal, but you'll find its easier to pull the cables through if they are.

3) How far from the new mains holes in the joists can I place the Cat5e holes?
Holes in joists should be more than 3 diameters apart. You should allow a separation of 50mm of your CAT5 from mains cables

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewto...4637e635e437b25b77b9ca0e4715df2#ixzz1MMxE4KS9

...but I read somewhere these have to be drilled perfectly horizontal? Is this true, especially if the hole is only 10mm? or is nearly horizontal ok?
The holes don't need to be horizontal, but you'll find its easier to pull the cables through if they are.
In case it helps, you can get quite cheap drill attachments to allow you to drill round a 90° corner.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back