Cat5 termination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I usually deal with 240/230V....so sorry if these are dumb questions!

I need to run CAT5 cable from a patch panel to cable to 4 new RJ45 outlets. I have an phone cable IDC insertion tool but do I need and RJ45 crimper, or is that only used for putting plugs on the end of the cable?

I have some CAT5e hanging around, but wondered if it would be better to use screened cable (it will be running under floors close to but not next to mains cables). Or even CAT6 - what's the difference in the two - is is just data speed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You're right about the crimp tool - you only need it for putting plugs onto the end of a cable. I'd recommend installing cat 6 UTP, as the cost difference between it and cat5e is minimal, and it guarantees a relatively future proof install that is guaranteed to work with gigabit and perhaps even 10Gbit links.

Don't bother with screened cable unless you have a shielded patch panel and outlets, otherwise there will be nowhere to terminate the screen anyway. Besides, Ethernet is inherently resistant to common-mode noise, so although data cables running in close proximity to power cables isn't recommended, it's rarely a problem at speeds of 1Gbit and below.

I need to run CAT5 cable from a patch panel to cable to 4 new RJ45 outlets. I have an phone cable IDC insertion tool but do I need and RJ45 crimper, or is that only used for putting plugs on the end of the cable?

The crimper is for connecting the modular plugs, so you shouldn't need it just for wiring to the jacks. An IDC punchdown tool is what you need for those. And despite the ever-increasing misuse of the term, even from manufacturers who should know better, they are not RJ-45 jacks, by the way.

I have some CAT5e hanging around, but wondered if it would be better to use screened cable (it will be running under floors close to but not next to mains cables).

Not really necessary unless the is a specific interference problem anticipated, either to the network from an electrically noisy environment, or from the network where it might cause interference to sensitive equipment - Neither is especially likely in the average domestic system.

Or even CAT6 - what's the difference in the two - is is just data speed?

In terms of the final result, pretty much. CAT6 cable is made to a specification which reduces crosstalk between pairs, necessary to achieve the super-fast speeds of the gigabit-plus networks.

These days, the CAT5 cable you buy is more likely in reality to be CAT5e ("e" for enhanced), which is entirely suitable for 100Mbps connections, and can also be employed (with suitable network equipment connected, of course) for 1000Mbps systems, so long as you terminate all four pairs properly.

Hey - thanks guys for such speedy and helpful replies.
The cable I have is Cat5E so I think I'll use this up to save £ and the environment!

SB

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend installing cat 6 UTP, as the cost difference between it and cat5e is minimal, and it guarantees a relatively future proof install that is guaranteed to work with gigabit and perhaps even 10Gbit links.

This is often quoted but there are no advantages to installing CAT6 over CAT5e. CAT6a however has significant future proofing advantages but the cost of installation is often prohibitive and its thickness makes it difficult to work with.

they are not RJ-45 jacks, by the way.

Well you introduced the 'incorrect' term into the thread, so what is the proper name?

Er..... I think you'd better read the first post in the thread again, as that's where the term was introduced.

As noted already. they are 8P8C modular plugs & jacks. They aren't RJ-anything, since the RJ (Registered Jack) designations were introduced in the 1970's to refer to telephone company wiring configurations. As has also been noted, although they may look similar at a quick glance, a plug wired to a true RJ-45 configuration won't even fit the standard 8P8C modular jack used for computer networks (not that you'd want it to).

Yeah, but....

Google "rj45 patch cable" = About 12,900,000 results

Google "8p8c patch cable" = About 270,000 results

Go to (chosen because I know of them) http://www.blackbox.co.uk/, and search the site:

rj45 = About 329 results

8p8c = 7 results

Everything you say is true, but...

Language changes all the time, including changes which stem from gross misuse of terms. For example, did you know that the OED now does not define "electrocution" as a fatal event? They have recognised the fact that, no matter how wrongly, huge numbers of people use "electrocute" to mean "electric shock".

Should that be resisted? Probably.

Should changes in usage always be resisted? There has to come a point when you give in. 12 years or so ago it was blindingly obvious to anybody who could count and could be bothered to expend a few brain cycles doing it that the 21st century would start on 01/01/2001, not 01/01/2000, but there was never a hope in hell that anybody who could count and think would ever be interested in doing those things.

Go to any network hardware supplier and ask for an RJ45 patch cable, or an RJ45 jack, or an RJ45 socket, and you'll get what you want even though you aren't actually asking for what you want.

When the the technically incorrect term is used nearly 50 times more often than the correct one, what do you do?

Look at the Misco site - search it for 'rj45' and you'll get about 3,390 results. Search it for '8p8c' and you'll find absolutely nothing.

On balance. if someone goes out looking for "RJ45 whatevers" they will come back with just what they want. If they go out looking for "8P8C whatevers" they'll probably come back empty handed.

I acknowledged that the misuse of the term is widespread, even by manufacturers and others who should know better (even the interface module on the back of my HP printer has "RJ45" stamped over the network connector). But just because it's widespread doesn't make it right, and I was merely pointing out that despite the ever-increasing incorrect usage, the 8P8C jacks are not RJ-45, and never have been. The flood of incorrect usage may be too strong to stop now, but when part of the function of this forum is to educate, I think it's reasonable to mention that incorrect terminology. (Just as the posts you'll find here where somebody asks about a "plug" when he really means a socket.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back