Really confused with phone / CAT5 bobbins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks - this is getting me really confused and the missus is laughing at me (and to cap it all off Ive picked up injuries and dental pain so generally feeling cr@ppy... Anyway)

When the house was being re-wired I took the opportunity to slap CAT5e wiring into all the rooms in anticipation of having a fully IT networked house; I've finally got round to putting data sockets on all the outlets, and the BT fella installed a phone line yesterday, so I've hooked up a patch panel in the same cupboard as the master socket.

Because I've only got 9 cables running across the house (4 to living room, 2 to each bedroom - 2 bedrooms, plus 1 to kitchen), I've got plenty of space on the panel to split the phone signal within the panel rather than splitting it via slave sockets & splitters (via the principle of putting a cable across 4 inserts - so outlets 13, 14, 15 & 16 are all linked together - therfor all I'd need to do is feed an input into socket 13, and take outs from 14 - 16 - is that ok or liable to casue bother???)

So - the living room 4 outlet one has 3 RJ45's and a BT outlet on it, and the other rooms have all RJ45's ( obtained a couple of RJ45's to BT pig-tails for the other rooms but got a nice one for the living room for neatness). So what I'm wanting to do is connect directly from the BT master socket to a spare patch panel socket (no 24), athen use an RJ45 cable to patch across to 13, which will split across to 14, 15 & 16, and I can then link that 14 acrosss to outlet 4, which ruuns through the walls to the BT outlet in the living room. But how do I connect from the BT master to the back of the patch panel?? I was thinking of using a bog standard phone cable with the female end cut off, and connecting that to the panel, but it ain't working.... Should I put a slave socket coming off the master and then wire that to the panel?? And what colours should go to what numbers on the panel???

I'm really confused.... Hence this post probably not making sense

Sponsored Links
numpty with a crowbar said:
When the house was being re-wired I took the opportunity to slap CAT5e wiring into all the rooms in anticipation of having a fully IT networked house; I've finally got round to putting data sockets on all the outlets, and the BT fella installed a phone line yesterday, so I've hooked up a patch panel in the same cupboard as the master socket.
sounds sensible.

Because I've only got 9 cables running across the house (4 to living room, 2 to each bedroom - 2 bedrooms, plus 1 to kitchen), I've got plenty of space on the panel to split the phone signal within the panel rather than splitting it via slave sockets & splitters (via the principle of putting a cable across 4 inserts - so outlets 13, 14, 15 & 16 are all linked together - therfor all I'd need to do is feed an input into socket 13, and take outs from 14 - 16 - is that ok or liable to casue bother???)
nothing wrong with wiring together ports on the panel to get multiple phone outlets to patch accross.

So - the living room 4 outlet one has 3 RJ45's and a BT outlet on it, and the other rooms have all RJ45's ( obtained a couple of RJ45's to BT pig-tails for the other rooms but got a nice one for the living room for neatness). So what I'm wanting to do is connect directly from the BT master socket to a spare patch panel socket (no 24), athen use an RJ45 cable to patch across to 13, which will split across to 14, 15 & 16, and I can then link that 14 acrosss to outlet 4, which ruuns through the walls to the BT outlet in the living room.
sounds fine

But how do I connect from the BT master to the back of the patch panel?? I was thinking of using a bog standard phone cable with the female end cut off, and connecting that to the panel, but it ain't working.... Should I put a slave socket coming off the master and then wire that to the panel?? And what colours should go to what numbers on the panel???

personally i'd just wire from the user side of the bt master directly to a socket on the patch panel. as for connection pinouts you should find the middle 4 colors in standard Rj45 wiring match the middle 4 in bt phone wiring but if your using ready made adaptors it may be best to check thats what they did.

plugwash said:
personally i'd just wire from the user side of the bt master directly to a socket on the patch panel. as for connection pinouts you should find the middle 4 colors in standard Rj45 wiring match the middle 4 in bt phone wiring but if your using ready made adaptors it may be best to check thats what they did.

OK - so if I understand it right, it will be:
Panel pin 3 - RJ45 White (& Green) to BT 2
Panel pin 4 - RJ45 Blue (and white) to BT 3
Panel pin 5 - RJ45 White (and blue) To BT 4
Panel pin 6 - RJ45 Green (and white) To BT 5
if I connect from the panel to the back of the master socket (the bit that says "IDC connectors for user wiring" on the diagrame I found here
nteback.jpg

I knew I should have just gone with wireless for the iT and had simple BT phone cables.... :(

OK - so if I understand it right, it will be:
Panel pin 3 - RJ45 White (& Green) to BT 2
Panel pin 4 - RJ45 Blue (and white) to BT 3
Panel pin 5 - RJ45 White (and blue) To BT 4
Panel pin 6 - RJ45 Green (and white) To BT 5
just gone with wireless for the iT and had simple BT phone cables.... :

IIRC its

2 - blue with white stripes (one side of the line)
3 - orange with white stripes (ring signal)
4 - white with orange stripes (not really needed, but we tend to connect it anyway)
5 - white with blue stripes (other side of the line)

if you are interested, 1 is green with white stripes, and 6 is white with green stripes, but they aren't used on domestic phone wiring and you won't find connections for them on the NE5 panel

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
IIRC its

2 - blue with white stripes (one side of the line)
3 - orange with white stripes (ring signal)
4 - white with orange stripes (not really needed, but we tend to connect it anyway)
5 - white with blue stripes (other side of the line)

if you are interested, 1 is green with white stripes, and 6 is white with green stripes, but they aren't used on domestic phone wiring and you won't find connections for them on the NE5 panel

Oooh - hang on - those colours you mentioned - I'm assuming you're talking about BT phone cable colours not cat 5 e cable colours??? And when it comes to connecting them to the patch pannel is it a simple case of 2 at the BT end to 2 on the panel, 3 to 3 etc etc???

Oooh - hang on - those colours you mentioned - I'm assuming you're talking about BT phone cable colours not cat 5 e cable colours??? And when it comes to connecting them to the patch pannel is it a simple case of 2 at the BT end to 2 on the panel, 3 to 3 etc etc???

oops, I think i've confused myself now :oops:

it doesnt make any difference what colour is used for what, just aslong as you stick to it and make sure pin 2 is connected to pin 2 etc

You need to work out which way the line mods work. I have a pin out of the standard config - but I have found that they differ from manufacturer to manufacturer :eek:

As for linking from one RJ45 in the patch to the next - to this with a continual link (dont punch down to two cables into a single terminal - it doesn't work). To do this, you need to disable the auto-cutting on the punch tool.

As for wireless - it's great for laptops to go on the net, and share most files etc, but for a permenant computer sat somewhere, wired is best - twice the speed for moving huge files/folders etc.

I have been playing with audio over IP recently - using winamp on my laptop. The winamp sources MP3 files from my shared buffallo linkdrive, and the output of winamp is streamed over the network to the computer connected to my hifi. I want to look at getting a 'dumb' box to sit at the hifi, rather than having to have a computer on there. Works well, little slow when you advance track etc due to the buffer.

Anyone else having luck with streaming audio over networks?? Anyone using MP3 players at their HIFI, and using the network to grab the MP3's from a shared source?? Ideal for parties etc, speakers in the lounge, kitchen, conserve......and two on the patio in the summer ;)

I will look for the pinouts........

I know there are products that utilise cat5 cables to transmit music from a music server hard drive to seperate rooms, i'd love one of those. I like the ones that have a small console on the wall with built in IR eye so you can control the ceiling speakers from anywhere in the room. Ceiling mounted speakers. When i get my own place . . . .

Lectrician said:
Anyone else having luck with streaming audio over networks?? Anyone using MP3 players at their HIFI, and using the network to grab the MP3's from a shared source?? Ideal for parties etc, speakers in the lounge, kitchen, conserve......and two on the patio in the summer ;)

Dunno if this counts but I'm planning to have a central filestore server (once I can work out a way to sneak it out of the office - it's been decommissioned, just not formally scrapped just yet ;) ) so all the PC's / laptops in the house (2 base units and 2 laptops) can share the same music database.... Dunno if it'll work yet mind but hey....

As for the phones to cat5e malarkey - finally got it sussed out - if I'd thought I would have scribbled it down and posted it up here for info... D'oh! Maybe once I get the home internet working finally....

I have a central file server - just a 250gig landrive. Available 24/7 to any machine. All my music is on this. Also, any computer can use winamp to play this music, and stream it to the stereo.

Ok to patch a POTS line to a Cat5 structured cabling system you use the 1st two pairs on the Cat 5 cable,

These are specifically pins 4&5 and 1&2

4&5 should correspond to Blue/White, White/Blue respectively
1&2 should correspond to Orange/White, White/Orange respectively

(These are the Cat5 colours)

Your phone line should use the following....

BT Pin 2 to Cat5 Pin 4 - (BT Tip)
BT Pin 5 to Cat5 Pin 5 - (BT Ring <Not ring signal>)
BT Pin 3 to Cat5 Pin 1 - (BT Ring Signal)
BT Pin 4 to Cat5 Pin 2 - (Not used anymore but was for Earth Loop Recall)

Hope this helps.

Why not run the cable (bt line)back to patch panel and either stick it on a new panel and daisy chain the back to make ports live and use patch leads or direct onto back of cabled panell connecting all your desired outlets?

sorry to but in but if I understand this you have wired all cabling back to patch panel and you want to connect them as bt points sounds fine but for few things your master Bt point Number 5 blue/white number 2 white/blue
number 3 green/white and the same there after 5 2 3 as these are all that is required now if you are going to use all points as data and you want network you need a hub /switching unit about £90 16 way with patch leads so easys and I have so much of this you will need to make sure that cables are connected and kroned in to the terminals

see yer :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back