Best network structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had an extension done and was after some advice on the best structure/way forward:

My BT master socket was destroyed by builders – not happy but I will replace this with a new one under the stairs.

So in this location (under stairs) will be the following:

1) New master telephone socket (inc iplate) with two outputs, one for broadband and one for phone

2) Router with 6 wired output and wireless

3) Server hardwired into one of the router outputs so other rooms can access media content

4) 30 x RJ45 cables

most of the RJ45 cables aren't needed yet but I was hoping to hardwire a couple of rooms and use one for a phone as this is necessary for sky. Is this possible with RJ45? How do I wire a Ethernet cable for a phone? Do I follow the same colour guide just ignoring the other colours/cables?

What kit would people buy? Do I need some sort of patch panel or can I just put a phone cable on one end of an RJ45 cable, run this in for sky then just add Ethernet connectors to the rest and plug them into my router, getting a larger one in the future if/when necessary?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
wire point to point then use an adapter at the phone end and to patch into the phone at the hub end..

The other thing that's useful to know is you can plug an RJ11 (modem type connector) in to an RJ45 socket - they are designed such that this will work, which means you can in a lot of cases avoid using adapters...

Hi Coljack – sorry but not sure I totally understand.

So are you saying add new master socket then wire all my RJ45 cables as ethernet, then add adapters to either end of one of the enthernet cables to make it a phone line plugging it into the master socket and a connecting plate the other end? If there's such a connecting plate

Sponsored Links
A more correct domestic arrangement is to run Cat 5 /5e/6 between the hub location and the room, terminating the cables on Cat 5 /5e/6 rj45 modules, in frames on a back box.

This then becomes fixed wiring. At both end you then use a patch lead to connect the device at the room end and the hub / router at the other.

Are you simply running in extended pacth leads between the hub area and the rooms ?

If you keep to the fixed wiring method, the wiring is static and less likely to suffer failure due to movement and mechanical damage.

If you keep to the fixed wiring you can run in an extra cable for the BT line to sky and terminate that on a BT slave module. This are the same size at the Cat Cat 5 /5e/6 modules.

See items here

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Computer_Accessories_Index/Computer_RJ45_Mod_1/index.html

Chris,

I have run three RJ45 cables to each room in the house all going back to the under stairs cupboard. In each room the wires either come out of a plaster depth box or a metal recessed box. This will then allow me to add a grid type fascia adding Ethernet or Phone connections where necessary. Under the stairs I will terminate all cables to Ethernet and plug them into the router. But when dealing with the phone line over RJ45 how is this handled best. Is it better to terminate the cable as ethernet and use an adapter or terminate it using a phone connector.

I think I've done everything correctly up until now, just need to make sure I finish it correctly – cheers for the link BTW

Also wonder what ppl thought of this kit? I know it's cheap so there will probably be lots of better pieces of equipment out there but as this is only a one off and most people probably don't even test stuff I thought this would be ok:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RJ45-RJ12-LAN...rkingTools_Accessories_SM?hash=item335862feb2

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
A structured cabling system (to take all media types) would terminate on Cat RJ45 modules. This retains the wiring as adaptable without tooling.

Fitting a telephone style module means that cable become dedicated to voice use only.

To overcome this, should you wish to keep the cable as RJ45 Cat adaptable then baluns are needed

http://www.discountphonesystems.co.uk/acatalog/BALUN-MODTAP.html

Baluns cost £6 or so, a BT module costs £4- so it's your call.

At the hub end it's simple if you want to just extend the BT line at the master socket to 1 place, more complex if you want the line to extend to say 3 positions.

The normal for multi line fanning is BT line in to a patch panel, pins 4 and 5 (a leg, b leg) and pin 2 (ring / bal / anti tinkle) this then gets carried over (in and out ) over 3 patch panel ports.

This then allows each port to be patched out on the wiring to the BT socket module or Cat module with slave / secondary balun.

Hi Chri5,

Thanks, I only really want one fixed phone line for now as we use wireless phones so I was hoping to run a hardwire link for the phone over CAT5 to one location and split this for a handset doc and for sky. The sky connector is really only for the installers purposes as sometimes they get funny about installing without a fixed landline. I like the idea of these baluns you mention, I assume I need one of each type as one will go into the master socket (convert from phone to cat 5) then one in the other end coming (cat 5 to phone). This seems like a great solution. I may in the future want to add more fixed landlines but as we get such good deals on mobiles i'm not sure we will

I'm hoping i'll be sorted with what you've suggested and all I need to get now is ethernet connectors to terminate the cables, some ethernet grid fascias and the baluns you kindly supplied a link to.

So on a side note, this BT master socket that my builders accidentally broke is in the wrong room so is it a bad idea to re-route the main cable coming in and put it under the stairs? I know the master socket and wiring leading to it is BT's responsibility but it's a right gash up now and needs sorting. I can see where the external black phone line runs down the outside of the house so it just needs pulling into the correct area then connecting to a new master socket. I understand this is a DIY forum so ppl shouldn't advocate changing anything that's BT's responsibility but i'm now in the situation of the hardware being broken anyway.

This is a weight off my mind, I can just connect all the cat5 cables, use the cable tester to make sure they're made up correctly then use the baluns to handle the cable conversion – save me getting confused.

Get BT out to fix the socket and send the bill (£100+) to the builders that caused the damage? :rolleyes:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yeah I know what you mean but i'm not going there as I want to keep the relationship with the builders intact. It's also an opportunity to move the socket which I would have wanted to do anyway. Should I move the socket and try adding a new master, then if it doesn't work just get BT out to fix it as they would have to move it anyway.

Cheers.

Separate the phone wiring from the ADSL signal where the BT cable comes in ( at the NTE5 ) and keep them separate

Read the thread at
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=209061

Also do NOT rely entirely on wireless telephones in the house...They will probably not work in a power cut and then without a plain old telephone to plug in you will not have a telephone. And in a prolonged power cut you local mobile phone mast may also lose power and shut down.

Also the change from BT twisted pair to CAT 5 twisted pair creates an impedance mismatch for ADSL signals and results in a small loss of ADSL signal. Best to use BT phone twisted pair for the ADSL signal all the way to the modem.

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for the extra info. I am going to install a new master socket with an iplate which I believe does what you are suggestion (splits phone and adsl). I'm planning on keeping the phones and ADSL separate but as others suggested, rather than using phone connectors to terminate my cat5 wires I should used RJ45 connectors then a Balun to convert that to a phone connection, thus keeping the main cabling connectors as RJ45 for future use. Is that ok?

I understand what you're saying about wireless phones and power cuts we live in a town so it's not the end of the world if we don't have phones for a few hours or day or two. This would have to be a massive area power cut to cause this level of inconvenience, i'm sure you've experienced this and can confirm what a nightmare it is but the power in our area is quite good.

My phone wiring is on those flat ribbon wires. There are splitters everywhere, and the broadband signal travels about 10 metres through a ribbon wire. Still got 8 meg though :D :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back