What are my chances of being able to pull Cat5 thru mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install a Home Automation system, (CBUS) but will need to run Cat5 to the light switches. Most of this will be a retrofit, and I really don't want to have to redecorate.

So I was wondering has anyone pulled cat 5 through existing mains cable.

I'm guessing this is not possible, but it will make life a lot easier it it is.

The existing cable is twin and earth chased into the plaster.

what I'm wondering is...

Can I pull the live & neutral conductors out of the wall from above leaving the outer insulation in place, and pull some cat5 through it ?

Sponsored Links
You mean the existing cables are not in conduit, and you want to use the inner cores as a draw wire to pull cat 5 cables through the sheath?

It'll never work.

Sponsored Links
I would like to install a Home Automation system, (CBUS) but will need to run Cat5 to the light switches. Most of this will be a retrofit, and I really don't want to have to redecorate.

So I was wondering has anyone pulled cat 5 through existing mains cable.

I'm guessing this is not possible, but it will make life a lot easier it it is.

The existing cable is twin and earth chased into the plaster.
what I'm wondering is...

Can I pull the live & neutral conductors out of the wall from above leaving the outer insulation in place, and pull some cat5 through it ?

Why not use an ethernet over mains type system, then branch from the electrics into a socket? That way you'll be able to use your existing electric cabling to run network traffic too.

Like this:
http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h2114.htm

Absolutely no chance... sorry.

Why not use an ethernet over mains type system, then branch from the electrics into a socket? That way you'll be able to use your existing electric cabling to run network traffic too.

Like this:
http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h2114.htm[/QUOTE]

I suspect that this will be too costly due to the number required.

Put the cat5 in onece and for-all.
Frank

Like this:
http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h2114.htm[/QUOTE]

I suspect that this will be too costly due to the number required.

Put the cat5 in onece and for-all.
Frank

Actually, I suspect it would be completely useless because we're talking about C-BUS, which despite using cat5 cable, is not the same as ethernet.

It's not for TCP/IP ethernet - It is for a C-Bus.

I am afraid you are going to have to chase the walls if no conduit is in place - When you do, make sure you fit a piece of 20mm conduit or larger for when the next home owner strips out what you have put in......

Not a hope in hell. If the cables are not in conduit then you're screwed.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I knew as soon as I'd typed my question in that it was a bad idea, but I thought it was worth asking just in case.

So it'll have to be back to the drawing board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back