Is this right that cat5e cannot be next to power cables

Sponsored Links
Disi, to be honest I would need it for the whole building as more or less all routes I need to cover with the cat5e would somehow come across some mains.
Welcome to the world of systems install.
You will always get this problem, so just stick to cat5 and you should be fine as long as you try to minimise the cat5 running right next to the mains cable where possible.
Your biggest worry, regarding the cctv side will be earth loops and volts drop. It is easy to think it is due to interface but it rarely is.

Stranded Cat 5 is designed for flyleads which due to movement (patching, desk top to wall point) would be unsuitable for solid Cat 5 which can break inside the sheath.

On a small network, minor areas of cables being near to power won't cause a huge problem, the bigger the power cable the larger the problem.

Why not use sheaths made up of split sections of copex flexible conduit where the route runs make the close proximity between Cat 5 and power impossible to overcome.

I would add that a little more thought, some 50 x 50 box trunking and a core drilled hole between the floors would allow for up to 30 x Cat 5 drops to be run between the floors. When doing smaller premises with 2 floors inevitably there isn't sensible routing via a riser shaft as an option, so make one.

Please avoid passing Cat 5 through existing joists with power already occupying the hole.

Stranded Cat 5 is designed for flyleads which due to movement (patching, desk top to wall point) would be unsuitable for solid Cat 5 which can break inside the sheath.
The most important thing with solid vs stranded is to make sure that the terminations you use are suitable for the cable you are using. wallports and patch panels are designed for solid cable. Plugs can be bought in versions for both solid and stranded cable (if you use both make sure you don't mix them up. If the supplier doesn't say which they are for then don't buy)

Unless it's being used for hooking up a laptop or something else that gets moved all the time I don't see a huge problem with solid core patch cables. Think how much the cable you use for fixed wiring gets bent as you pull it through the various ducts.

Sponsored Links
Pentascan 5000 points and 25-50 will fail due to knotting, snagging the cable on pull and continuing to pull.

Cat 5e and Cat 6 are even more fragile than Cat 5.

Stranded cable and krone IDC don't work that well and often the grip is weak on the IDC.

Stranded will reshape and compress, solid will get a 'bite' from the IDC blade and hold firm.

There's also the issue with the Krone IDC or even 110 tools not cutting every strand and allowing strands to short.

if it were me, I would really want a fast reliable network capable of at least 1 GHZ speed.
Well that will be the new and emerging, and very much non-standard type of cable to which some people are applying the tag "Cat 8", as if to imply it is a standard, and that it's just the natural progression from Cat5, Cat6, Cat7. It's neither.

But heaven alone knows why you want a cable with a frequency bandwidth of 1GHz + when you can run 10Gb (can you get faster switches, routers and interfaces?) over 500MHz Cat6a, and 10Gb is 200 x the rate that a high-def DVD transfers at.

If when you were typing that you were using a high definition monitor did you know that the DVI cable is capped at 165MHz?

If you've got a state-of-the art HD TV, did you know that the latest 1.3 HDMI interface is only 340MHz, and that your shiny new Blu-Ray player will quite happily deliver full resolution video and audio through HDMI 1.0 at 165MHz?

if it were me, I would really want a fast reliable network capable of at least 1 GHZ speed.
Well that will be the new and emerging, and very much non-standard type of cable to which some people are applying the tag "Cat 8", as if to imply it is a standard, and that it's just the natural progression from Cat5, Cat6, Cat7. It's neither.

But heaven alone knows why you want a cable with a frequency bandwidth of 1GHz + when you can run 10Gb (can you get faster switches, routers and interfaces?) over 500MHz Cat6a, and 10Gb is 200 x the rate that a high-def DVD transfers at.

If when you were typing that you were using a high definition monitor did you know that the DVI cable is capped at 165MHz?

If you've got a state-of-the art HD TV, did you know that the latest 1.3 HDMI interface is only 340MHz, and that your shiny new Blu-Ray player will quite happily deliver full resolution video and audio through HDMI 1.0 at 165MHz?

Sorry, typo, I meant 1 gigabit. Well done you for spotting though.

Wow this thread has become a little too technical now lol

I did buy the Shielded Cat5e cable from the guy, paid him £40 for 200 meters in the end and he has had it for around 3 years it turns out as it had a dispatch date on the box.

The cable is basically similar to the other cat5e cable but with a more beige sheath and a foil wrapping around all the pairs. Im assuming this should do the job for me?

Also when you guys are talking about patch cables, im not thinking of using this same cable for the patch cables, i managed to buy loads of patch cables on the cheap with the ends and shoes fixed. I dont think they are shielded but that shouldnt be an issue as where they will be required there should be no cable interference anyway.

I am thinking of having a patch panel in a cabinet with the switch just below it and my DVR underneath that

Disi, to be honest I would need it for the whole building as more or less all routes I need to cover with the cat5e would somehow come across some mains.

Am sure you could keep them 50mm apart even in dry lining, it's not too difficult unless you put power and low voltage through the same point of entry??

He's probably finished the installation by now, it being nearly 2 years since he posted...

If you are just playing at home and have the cable yes.
I don't think he is, unless he's got a ****** big home, as he needs 250m of cable.

k4q - do the people paying you to install their network know that you know nothing about it, and did you warn them of this?

I'm on my second 1000ft box in my current home, and used 4 boxes in my previous one.

EDIT: Damn. Posted the exact same thing before on the previous page, didn't notice this was an old resurrected topic. Sorry chaps!

Thought about Reg 528.1?

I thought it was bad to put ELV wires through the same holes as LV unless you've got additional insulation/separators.
The thinking goes, that when you are working with LV, you always test to see that it's dead, but noone bothers checking if data cables have somehow become live, so precautions are needed when wiring them in close proximity for safety sake, not just because of potential EMI.

I saw this happen once - the data cables became live and blew up a network card - lost the blue smoke!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back