Running cat 5 & telephone wires...

If you are dealing with data and electrical cabling in your own property and for your own purposes, you can effectively do as you wish. Only when you are experiencing problems will you need to take action. The noise experienced on your phone could possibly be either as a result of EMI (noise from the power cable), or just a dodgy fone. You would have to separate them to be sure.

British Standard BSEN 50174 Part 2 deals with EMC issues for IT and power cable distribution. Separation is the general answer, however it depends on a nuber of issues, in particular the length of the joint cable run. The types of equipment using the mains cable can also increase the effect of EMI.

Re: dw3101 ~ there is absolutely no point in installing screened cable that isn't earthed at both ends, it would only compound the problem.

[/quote][/list]

Sponsored Links
With phones, some people get the pairs muddled up, resulting in interferance.

IDA Trainer said:
If you are dealing with data and electrical cabling in your own property and for your own purposes, you can effectively do as you wish.
No you can't, and it has nothing to do with EMI.

Wiring Regs group 528-01 has all sorts of requirements concerning the segregation of Band I (ELV, data and telecoms) and Band II (LV) circuits.

Very often I find two lines run in one cable which produces cross talk.

Listen carefully on one line and you can hear the conversation on the other. Who needs bugs??!!

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
You could run them together if the insulation on the tele/cat cable was 240v rated (it aint). I still would seperate though.

They must not share conduit or trunking, unless there is a barrier, such as compartmental trunking.

That's the case with singles Lec, but if it's in a house or the like the mains cables will probably be T&E so there is a continuous 240V insulated barrier between the cables (the outer sheathing)so this complies with BS7671. But if at all poss from an EMF interference point of view I look on this as a bodge well worth avoiding.

anyway he's going to do it right anyway by the sounds of it. :cool:

If you take a look at the network card connector the shield on the card is connected the the GND line anyway, so it is earthed.

We have seperate supplys for computers which have clean earths and all boll**x like that! so might not be a good idea to cross bond patch cables. PMSL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back