Best option for running ethernet cat 5 or 6 to garden cabin

Sponsored Links
You cannot get away from the fact that the plugs are absolutely not designed or recommended to be used on solid cables. Solid cables are designed for a fixed installation, installed with an IDC outlet on the end, then they stay put. Fitted with plugs the cables are expected to allow for some movement. You would not use a solid cored cable on your vacuum cleaner, why expect to get away with a solid cored CAT 5 to your printer or laptop?

None of what you mention above makes a jot of difference. The sharp pins of the plug are intended to pierce the insulation and force their way through the middle of the multiple strands of a flexible cable. Using solid cables in the plugs, means the insulation is pierced, the sharp pin glances past the solid core making a much more tenuous connection than the plug is designed to make. Using miss- matched cable and plugs is hardly a professional way to do any job.
Sorry Harry but I totally disagree with you, for a start you are obviousely ignorant of the design of the proper plugs.
I have been buying a selection of different plugs for years for different cables and just looked to see what's 'in stock' at the moment, I find I have plugs for solid: Cat5, cat6, flat D and ribbon. That's actually 7 different 8 pin plugs available for solid conductors. I didn't bother looking at my stock of stranded varieties or 10, 6, 4 or 2 pin
If you were daft enough to install solid with plugs here, you would find yourself either not getting paid, or invited to return and do the job properly.

I don't know where 'here' is but unless your pedantic ideas were in writing in the contract and I deemed a plug on solid were the correct option then that is what I would install and depending on the value I would soon make sure payment were forthcoming.

Can I suggest you get your facts right before making fatuitous statements on a public forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back