Log Cabin Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to this and got a few questions about log cabin electrics. I know you can usually get planning to bury a cable and run it to a log cabin. Our property has a right of way between the back yard off of the house and the bigger garden at the back. So what’s the regs/law to run a cable from the house to say a telegraph pole and then to the cabin? Obviously the cable will be adequate for the need and not just an extension cable. Wanting to run the cable from the fuseboard and then outside to high level, across to a pole then into a fuseboard inside the cable then a lights ring and socket ring main inside. So my main issues are;
1. Illegal/legal to run a cable house to pole
2. Height regs
3. Planning
4. Certain load allowed (amps)
5. Armoured cable required
6. If all okay, do you need to fix cable to a metal cable to span or would an amoured cable be strong enough to support itself
Obviously will be likened to a phone wire that comes into your house but will be mains power. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Won't it be a lot of work for you to erect your own telegraph pole?

You have no right to use one belonging to anyone else.

Have you looked at the terms of your "right of way" (or, more likely, easement?)

Does it say you are allowed to lay cables? Or does it just say you are permitted personal and vehicular traffic?

You don't need planning to bury a cable, you might to run it overhead though.
You would need sufficient clearance to avoid danger from the cable especially if vehicles could go near to it.
You wouldn't need armoured cable but you would need one that could handle the sunshine, also you might need a catenary to support it on longer runs.
Current you can have as much as you like subject to disconnection times and volt drop, you'd need an electrician to design it.

We haven’t completed on the house but the, I’d say, easement is about 10’ wide, looks fairly newly tarmaced and no vehicles can get down there as each end has no chance of being able to get a car around the corner. I was thinking of erecting a pole so it’s completely ours and not using private property. Trying to think of the easiest non intrusive way to get power there. Just can’t think of a worse nightmare of having to dig a trench and the tarmac and fill etc

Sponsored Links
This came up recently and the accepted answer for non intrusive way seemed to be to buy a small generator.
I think you'd have to check your deeds to see if you have permission to over sail the path. If not, you could ask the freeholder for permission.

Looked into a generator but the garden has house on all sides so don’t want to annoy new neighbours. The gardens were bought by the previous owner so the garden over the easement is 6 houses gardens. How would I know who the freeholder is? Would it be council owned? Thanks again

You can search on the land registry web site, if the land is registered it's just a 3 pounds quick search. If not it's a bit complicated. The other option is just do it in such a way no one who uses the land will be inconvenienced and hope no one notices/complains.

Looked into a generator but the garden has house on all sides so don’t want to annoy new neighbours. The gardens were bought by the previous owner so the garden over the easement is 6 houses gardens. How would I know who the freeholder is? Would it be council owned? Thanks again
Have a look at the Land Registry entries for the place- there should be enough clues in there to tell you who owns the tarmac bit. You'd def need planning permission for pole and overhead cable, if it isn't an adopted road then trench (subject to owners permission) will be a far less intrusive feature of the back garden

Hi, new to this and got a few questions about log cabin electrics. I know you can usually get planning to bury a cable and run it to a log cabin. Our property has a right of way between the back yard off of the house and the bigger garden at the back. So what’s the regs/law to run a cable from the house to say a telegraph pole and then to the cabin? Obviously the cable will be adequate for the need and not just an extension cable. Wanting to run the cable from the fuseboard and then outside to high level, across to a pole then into a fuseboard inside the cable then a lights ring and socket ring main inside. So my main issues are;
1. Illegal/legal to run a cable house to pole
2. Height regs
3. Planning
4. Certain load allowed (amps)
5. Armoured cable required
6. If all okay, do you need to fix cable to a metal cable to span or would an amoured cable be strong enough to support itself
Obviously will be likened to a phone wire that comes into your house but will be mains power. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

Apart from all your questions lights are not run in rings usually. Also I doubt you will need a socket ring for a log cabin. A 16a radial will probably be enough. Why a fuseboard? 16a MCB in the house run direct and lights through a switched FCU with a 5a fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back